View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-07-2005, 07:22 PM
dont think you pup will do the same as you other dog as it wont and make sure if you have two dogs the other dont teach it there bad habits (like drinking out of loo)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 07:46 PM
This is along the same lines as "never allow the dog to do something as a puppy that you would not find acceptable in the adult dog" but on a personal level it would be don't let your pup chew anything it shouldn't chew as an adult!

Also "Crate traning, used correctly, is indispensible".
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Christine
Don`t expect too much of pup, try understanding from pups way of thinking & treat kindly but firmly
Exactly my views too, think like the dog would and be patient, kind but firm - always
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2005, 08:27 PM
My advice would be in stressful circumstances try and see things from the dogs point of view (this helped me to understand and eliminate faeces eating and other problems with Khera) and also you learn from every problem and in the longterm it will make you a better dog owner.
gigi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2005, 08:39 PM
1.Try to think one step ahead of your pup. It will always help you to avoid situations that can become a problem.
2.Learn to communicate with your pup. Follow him when he gives you signals (but not when he tells you to jump off a cliff! )

Appart from that, I agree with everything else that has been said especially the "have a lot of PATIENCE and be CALM!

BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2005, 09:50 PM
i bored dog soon becomes destructive and will ammuse itself.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-07-2005, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
“Re stress - always try to set your puppy up to succeed in anything and everything.” (Shadowboxer) think I understand can you enlarge on this so others can too.
“
Can't put it into a snappy quote

What I meant was do not allow your puppy the opportunity to 'get it wrong'. Be observant with housetraining so you can spot when the pup needs to go out. Don't call pup to you when you know it is too distracted to come. Don't let the pup start pulling on lead. etc. That really encompasses both training & stress
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 06:01 AM
Thanks Shadowboxer, that is what I thought. I always say don't ask for something when you know you wont get the correct response.

My OH does fine examples of this he shouts long sentences at them from a distance and then gets cross when there is no response, the dogs don't understand so they ignore. Have been trying to explain for the last 49 years and never once has he remembered for more than 5 mins.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

20-07-2005, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Thanks Shadowboxer, that is what I thought. I always say don't ask for something when you know you wont get the correct response.

My OH does fine examples of this he shouts long sentences at them from a distance and then gets cross when there is no response, the dogs don't understand so they ignore. Have been trying to explain for the last 49 years and never once has he remembered for more than 5 mins.
Sure you`re not talking about my OH??
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2005, 06:36 AM
No Christine it was mine honest. Think this goes to show that some people are just not tuned into dogs and although they love them to bits they are totally unable to 'manage' them. If I say to him look that dog is lame the reply will be one of two, either, looks OK to me, or, you worry too much. If it were down to him the dog would limp around unnoticed and untreated, not because he does not care but because he does not see.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >