View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't suppose you have a video of this do you? I have NO idea what you mean, but I am intrigued!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Not sur eif this works, but here is a video of a natural dogs gait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jbCFLR2oIQ

Now imagine the two legs closest to you are moving at the same time, both legs lifting and placing on the ground at the same time.... this is called pacing!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Not sur eif this works, but here is a video of a natural dogs gait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jbCFLR2oIQ

Now imagine the two legs closest to you are moving at the same time, both legs lifting and placing on the ground at the same time.... this is called pacing!
Thank you, it does help
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Does this help...?

from: http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/sa..._91/91mast.htm
tyr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-05-2011, 05:32 PM
My smooth collie paces, too! (It drives me mad because I used to ride ponies and piggy pace was the *forbidden* gait! Sometimes I find myself trying to change her into a trot! Poor dog!) She is lazy. She is very long in the back. Her trot is faster than my walk. So I put it down to that.

However, someone recently mentioned that it could be a sign of HD. My vet disagrees - I'm inclined to trust her, but was wondering if anyone else here had heard of a link between pacing and HD?
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
This is often because the owner is not walking fast enough for the dog so it is forced to pace, this often happens in a long striding dog.

It can also be a sign that a dog is tired, so it may be that your dog needs to get fitter!

Some lazy dogs do it too.

In the show ring you can often spot the dogs who pace as the exhibitor does a little circle before doing the triangle or up and down!
I showed a dog who paced a lot... had to do the little circle then set off without a pause . Wasn't tired.was fit as a fiddle and could move beautifully when he wanted to!!! The more laid back he got the more he paced.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2