Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 03:44 PM

ELKHOUNDS...FOR CBT

<<<<<As regards Archers breed, I believe she breeds elkhounds?
Now, that breed may have pulled down elk in the past but I tell you something there is not a hope in hell that they would pull elk nowadays unless you had a pack of them!! If a good bull cross lurcher has a job pulling a red stag singlehanded then imagine how much harder it would be for a dog like an elkhound which is only bred as a show dog nowadays!

How were elkhound originally used archer? were they used in packs to hunt the elk and bring it to bay so it could be shot or were they used to pull the beast down?

Im sorry but when you get past roe and sika deer and onto the bigger classes of beast, it takes a very tough and determined dog to bring its quarry to a standstill - an elk being twice the size of a red deer, Im having a lot of difficulty picturing elkhounds being able to do this job.

Are there any breeders who still work their dogs in Norway or any other countries? Cant say its a breed Ive heard of being used with any success.

Im not having a go, genuinely interested. (move this to a different section if you like as it is a bit off topic from staffords)>>>>

Hi CBT
You're right I own elkhounds...although I have owned up until 18 months ago staffys....more Irish type than 'english'

Elkhounds ARE NOT berd for show only.Reputable breeders still breed for a type which is capable of hunting...in fact my 2 year old is by a male who by a male who is a Norwegian import.YES they still hunt in Norway...Elkhounds still hunt Elks...yes those HUGE moose things...and they do it one on one.No they do not bring them down...they track them and then use their noise and agility to iritate them and stay out of the way of its antlers and hooves until the hunter comes and shoots the elk.
If you look at www.varjdalen.com and click on english text you will see the kennels my boys sire was imported from and his ancestors.
My boys,as with many still possess a very strong hunt drive....now mainly directed at squirrels!! They have NEVER been taught but react and hunt squirrels the same as they would have done elks.
There are some lines being introduced into elkhounds which are not hunting type...but thats not for public discussion I'm afraid as I am not willing to voice an opinion on other peoples dogs as we have a very 'close' community' and its just not done.
Hope this helps
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Would just like to add I don't breed...I have neither the finances,room or knowledge of my breed to do so in my opinion...leaving that to the experts!!!!!!!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Would add that not only do they do it one on one but they do it on their own sometimes miles away from the guns.

They are used as loose hounds or band (harness) hounds, the loose hounds work without instruction and will continue till they have the prey at bay, then they use their well known voice, there are stories of the Elkhound being out and tracking or following an Elk for up to 3 days, it does not give up and when it has cornered the Elk, however tired it has to still keep out of the way of the antlers and hooves or it is a dead Elkhound.

There are a few in this country used on shoots and yes the same hounds are also shown.

EDIT to say in Norway they can not be shown until they have their hunting certificate and 90% of the hounds in the UK have Norwegian blood within the last 3 generations
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks Jackie.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

01-02-2005, 04:36 PM
thanks for that, interesting reading, thanks for clearing up my misconceptions about the breed, I had originally thought that they were used to kill the elk in packs, but then I was told they just hunt them down so they can be shot, and I wasnt sure which was correct so I thought Id better ask someone who knows the breed
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 04:39 PM
They really are a breed that we try to keep true to type and try to keep their ability to work even though its not used in this country.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Havent seen many elks in my neck of the woods Nikki

Thanks for sharing that- its interesting to see the reasons other breeds are bred for

Must admit I know nothing about elkhounds
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Lel
Havent seen many elks in my neck of the woods Nikki

Thanks for sharing that- its interesting to see the reasons other breeds are bred for

Must admit I know nothing about elkhounds
Thats why mine 'hunt' tree rats!
pete
Almost a Veteran

01-02-2005, 09:31 PM
weve got plenty of tree rats but not many elks
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Strange thing is my lot will sometimes come across a duck, pheasant or rabbit in the field and the round it up and corner it with excitement but then seem unsure what they should do and I am able to walk into the ring and pick up the 'prey' and release it over the fence, they never show any wish to kill. Now mice, rats, squirrels and such do get killed by whoever comes across it. And cats are scared to death but to date never hurt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >