Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Apart from the dog situation, parents should keep their children under control full stop , other people dont want unruly kids running riot around their feet, so parents need to understand that they may love to see their little darlings running around having fun, under and around other people, but it does not mean everyone else should be exposed to their bad behaviour.

Quiet simply, if a child of any age is running riot around my dog , and I feel is about to touch her, I will make myself very clear to said child to .......STOP !!! AND LEAVE MY DOG ALONE.

If said parent gets all indigent them, I will politely inform the to "control their children.

P.S ...if you cant control a 6/7/8 yr old, god help you when they get to be a teenager.
well said.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 03:29 PM
"if you can't control a 6/7/8 yr old... when they get to be a teenager"... didn't we just see what happens when they get to be teenagers this week in most major cities?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
"if you can't control a 6/7/8 yr old... when they get to be a teenager"... didn't we just see what happens when they get to be teenagers this week in most major cities?
In part yes. But there have also been teachers, driving instructors, engineers etc (in Birmingham anyway) that have also got involved in the rioting.

I agree though. It's all down to parenting. I have only ever had one child do something similar when we were at the airport with Yiannis. Yiannis is fine with other dogs running up to him and is usually fine with kids - just not those who run at him at 100mph and hang around his neck.

I shouted at the child. Maybe I was wrong to do so. I was not sorry for it though and to this day I knwo I'd do exactly the same thing. The boy stopped dead in his tracks about 3 feet away and burst into tears. His father was going to have a go at me (verbally though - physically I doubt as I had a loopy GSDwith me ) Before he had the chance I made it extremely clear that I will not have my dog penalised or badly thought of for defending himself; nor would I have his safety put at risk. I don't what, if anythign he wanted to say after that because I walked away.

As a rule I don't like children. Of course Oscar is different but he is well mannered, well disciplined and knows how to behave around dogs. Very different to the majority of kids around now.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
Most of the arrests here so far have been people over the age of 18. People are going on about the youth of today but it's not just young people who have been involved in the riots.

Out of control kids drive me mad when I don't have a dog with me, it's even worse when I do! I've had kids charge up and practically strangle Rupert with a hug. I had one get on his back! I'm normally nice to the child and explain why they shouldn't do that and show them how to approach a dog. I'm nowhere near as nice with the people who are supposed to be watching the child.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Apart from the dog situation, parents should keep their children under control full stop , other people dont want unruly kids running riot around their feet, so parents need to understand that they may love to see their little darlings running around having fun, under and around other people, but it does not mean everyone else should be exposed to their bad behaviour.

Quiet simply, if a child of any age is running riot around my dog , and I feel is about to touch her, I will make myself very clear to said child to .......STOP !!! AND LEAVE MY DOG ALONE.

If said parent gets all indigent them, I will politely inform the to "control their children.

P.S ...if you cant control a 6/7/8 yr old, god help you when they get to be a teenager.
I thought we were talking about the dog issue ? not unruly kids in general. Of course the parent should have stepped in, but thats why i made the comment about the parents not having a clue ! so how can people expect the kids to know if they are not taught, a bit like dogs not being taught manners really.

On the flip side i have seen children with parents behaving themselves minding their own business and the dog bounds up to them so it works both ways !
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Parents like this wind me up control you children simple
ATD x
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Parents like this wind me up control you children simple
ATD x
Can't use the word "control" with children - it's not fluffy, caring and valuing their self-expression. And if they want to express themselves by climbing the shelves of Tesco, or trying to ram sticks up your dog's left nostril... well you're just an evil dog owner clogging up the beauty spots with your child eating monstrosity and aren't allowed to argue back are you?

Wonder if wearing a hoodie would make the parents keep their kids away in the same way that wearing a muzzle marks the dog out as Hannibal Lecter Fido Version Mark II?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2011, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
As a rule I don't like children. Of course Oscar is different but he is well mannered, well disciplined and knows how to behave around dogs. Very different to the majority of kids around now.

I find it somewhat surprising that a person who does not like children as a rule should actively seek them out in primary schools?
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2011, 03:07 PM
I had Milly in the back of my car a while ago, sat quietly with the boot open while I got rid of recycling. Another car pulled up and out jumped a couple of 3/4/5 yr olds who saw Milly and rushed over to her. Before I could stop them they had gone to stroke her and she snapped at them - her toys were in the car along with 'her' things and she probably was protecting her space. When I shouted at the kiddies, the mum then rushed over and dragged the kiddies off muttering about dogs being under control ..... I think maybe she should have looked to herself and her kids behaviour before making remarks like that. OK maybe Milly shouldn't have responded like that, but she was IN m/her car minding her own business until then.
tyr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
I was amazed the couple didn't say anything as the retriever looked very uncomfortable on a number of occasions, the child was chasing the dog for at least 10 mins.
Agreed - there's no way I would let a child chase my dog for any length of time. If the parents don't intervene in a timely manner (I'm talking seconds), I will.

If anyone is in a similar situation, please don't wait for inept parents to make sensible decisions around their children if your dog's safety is at stake. Put your dog into a down, stop the child verbally or by blocking it (you don't have to touch it!), and then send it back to whence it came from.

Most people haven't a clue when it comes to reading animal body language. Most people think their children are exceptional at interacting with animals (and in every other way...). The combination of the above can be very unpleasant, if not dangerous, for your dog.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >