Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 11:22 AM

Fudge advice needed.(long thread sorry)

Some of you may have read a couple of threads over the last few days about Fudges small lumps.

I went to the vet with her yesterday and was told it was probably allergy related. The possibility of fleas was mentioned and as Fudge was a month behind on the frontline she was promptly treated,with frontline.There was no physical evidence of fleas nor had Fudge been scratching any more than normal.

This morning I went to our local (very knowledgeable) pet shop. I was advised to do a body flea check on Fudge which involved thorough combing over a damp white sheet. Any flea dirt would then fall onto the sheet and would turn red as the digested blood dissolved. I have not found any evidence of this after doing the above check.

The owner of the pet shop also mentioned food allergies particularly as Fudge is given our leftovers(naughty I know).She had a lot of leftovers at the weekend particularly gravy which she said was particularly bad for skin flare ups.....

My question is on this evidence would you also flea treat the whole house? I have the spray ready and waiting but am loathe to do this if there is no other evidence of fleas.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 11:28 AM
No.
Frontline does the job anyway as it kills any future fleas that jump on the dog so I never treat the environment as well, unless it is a spectacular infestation that you would know about.
One month behind on frontline treatment is absolutely nothing, if Fudge has fleas, it's not badly, I'm guessing it isn't a flea allergy anyway.
If I were you I'd put the spray away and monitor Fudge.Did the vet give you any antihistamines to calm a possible allergic reaction????
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No.
Frontline does the job anyway as it kills any future fleas that jump on the dog so I never treat the environment as well, unless it is a spectacular infestation that you would know about.
One month behind on frontline treatment is absolutely nothing, if Fudge has fleas, it's not badly, I'm guessing it is a flea allergy anyway.
If I were you I'd put the spray away and monitor Fudge.Did the vet give you any antihistamines to calm a possible allergic reaction????
Totally agree, keep a close eye for a few days but my guess is that it's an allergy.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 11:37 AM
No, the vet said to monitor and take her back inb 2 weeks if they develpoed any more or started to look any different. She said if they grew she would do a possible biposy. Found a few more on her this morning so am assuming it is an allergy. She seems fine in herself and is not scratching, just has these bumps . thanks for the advice. i was dreading have to treat the whole house.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 11:41 AM
A couple of years ago one of our lot had a severe allergic reaction, it was in December and the vet thought he'd eaten a bee. Anyway he came up in hive type lumps all over his face. She gave us piriton and it worked a treat, you can buy human piriton and give a low dose (like a childs one) if you are unsure, phone your vet and check it would be okay to do that. At the time it happened our vet asked , over the phone (it was out of hours) if we had any in the cupboard (human ones) and to just give him them...
but always check with your vet if you are unsure.

Does he nibble his front legs a lot? Have anal gland problems??? Ear problems? They can all be other signs of food intolerance.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Fudge does not nibble anything really or scratch. She is not really much good at grooming either. She is at the right age to develop allergies though as she was one in Nov so will be coming into contact with any seasonal allergens for the second time.I believe this is when allergies may develop?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Yes...can't remember the right term for it...one of those moments again but dogs form one year on can develop allergies. It may well be nothing serious, could be food related or plant related...anything really!!!!! Any spots ont eh tummy area or only on the legs?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Have you planted anything new in the Garden ?

OK

Have mum or dad planted anything new in their garden or got anything that's starting to bloom ?

Has she been anywhere new for a walk ?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Nothing new really that I can think of but she did eat a raw egg that broke on the floor on Sunday. The spots are in what my kids call her "arm pits" and are on both sides of her body in a symmetrical pattern, two small clusters at the rear end and just on one side at the front.She seems well in herself and it certainly did not stop her hooning around wity the others after dog class this afternoon.Guess it`s like the kids sometimes they get allergies and you never track it down, just have to treat the symptoms...
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I guess that's all you can do for now I guess.