Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 07:32 PM

Greater spotted woodpecker visited me

Had one of these visiting my bird feeder this morning, right outside my kitchen window, but when I went to take a pic through the glass, he spotted me and was off! Hope he comes back I've never seen one of these before only the green ones. This is the greater spotted woodpecker and it looked huuuge on the feeder too, I thought it was a parrot at first!

Apparently they are 9" long, although this one doesn't look anything like the size of the one I had? Maybe I've put the wrong picture up and this is the Lesser spotted, which is the size of a sparrow!
Catmelodian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-03-2006, 08:01 PM
The Greater Spotted is a regular visitor to my bird table too. The first time I saw him I mistook it for a 'Lesser Spotted', due to the red patch on his head but, apparently that's a Greater Spotted juvenile....They are very timid though and will fly away at the slightest percieved movement. Thrilling to see though at close quarters.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 08:06 PM
I had never seen one in real before but when we moved here there was one that came in to my back garden, I was right pleased it got on my nerves a bit when I looked it up cuz they said it was a common woodpecker and I thought I had seen something rare due to never seeing it before!

I agree with you about the picture though, looked a lot bigger in real life and very striking too
Het
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 08:13 PM
aww Helen nice one. They are really lovely birds aren't they.

I have three that visit. They discovered the red squirrels feeder and worked out how to use their strong beaks to push the perspex front up to get at the food. Of course it spilled out all over the place. So I put a screw in the box to stop them sliding the perspex up and they just attacked the box, and started tearing chunks off the side. So I had to hang up another peanut feeder next to the squirrel box especially for the woodpeckers. Only problem is if it starts to get low on peanuts they start vandalising the squirrel box again

I have tried to get a pic but they are real shy....looks like I'm gonna have to use the camo/bush disguise again
Shady
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2006, 08:21 PM
when i see the name of this thread i thought it was some thing rude lol nice pic helen sorry i was laughting
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2006, 08:53 PM
lucky you. I've never had one of these in the garden. I see them in the woods nearby occasionally though. I watched some baby ones poking their heads out of their nest once and they were adorable - they looked absolutely amazed at the world outside their hollow tree.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Great picture, they visit us a work a lot, lovely birds.
Dawn.
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Gorgeous birds! Get them here, I like trying to spot them when out walking but never manage it!!
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 09:44 PM
I often get them at my bird feeder with nuts in it ,they seem to love them
they are lovely birds
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2006, 09:55 PM
We've got a few here too & it's interesting to watch the parents bring the young for a peanut binge setting the peanut feeders swinging

They are spectacular & the young are like mini versions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >