Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Thanks everyone.

Hi Myra, glad to see you back. MIA? Missing in action? Tonks injured her cruciate ligament, only a partial rupture thankfully, so had complete rest for two weeks and now she's on lead walks only for two weeks. Your right, she was sitting with the injured leg flat underneath her rather than bending the knee. She sits like that naturally, she she's very relaxed, but was sitting like that all the time when it was hurting.

She had been doing really well on the lead, even though we have been walking with lots of dogs...well until today. We were walking through the woods, with 11 dogs between me and my friend, and all of a sudden there was this disgusting smell and everyone shot off the path and there was a fresh(ish)ly dead enormous deer lying there! So everyone was rolling in it, trying to pull bits of it..and Tonks went mental trying to get to it. I managed to keep hold of her and we called everyone back. Everyone calmed down, next minute Ollie, a GPS, does his special 'I see deer!' bark/bay and Remus dashed off all alert. I was just saying to my friend 'oh look at that he knows what that sound means' when Tonks showed she knew what Ollie meant too and yank the lead out of my hand and went sprinting up the path. In the distance three big deer come out of the woods and stand there looking at us all..I'd just convinced Tonks to stop at that point...just caught up with her, about to stand on the trailing line...and off she shoots again! Carys starts crying 'oh no I've lost my puppy!' Remus comes back, but that's not good enough for her. I had visions of Tonks getting her lead caught round all sorts in the woods because where she went in is really think and you can't walk through it, I was thinking I would have to crawl through to untangle her...or hope she would keep pulling until her collar came undone or she chewed through the lead. ...and then she came toddling back, thankfully the lead had slowed her down and she had given up. It's only the GPS, Remus and Tonks and the collie I walk that are bothered about the deer. All the other dogs were labs, American cockers, or working cockers. So now I have two very tired dogs, and thankfully Tonks kept running in a straight line so hasn't damaged her leg again...and the deer got away happily.

I've started a dog walking business so my two have lots of other dogs to play with.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Yes, Catrin. MIA is missing in action. I'm doing a bit better now, less EMO and whatnot... so I decided to come on back. Glad she's alright, and good luck with the dog walking business. No way I could do something like that here, with people rarely walking their dogs anyway lol.

I let a child who walks dogs try and walk Nigredo for a bit... but Nigredo wasn't happy and turned and pulled back towards me and the child accidentally let go of the lead, so I told him he wasn't big enough to walk large dogs.

Nigredo wrenched a leg trying to chase Blue (a cat) down the stairs. Limped for a day, and then was fine. Remus is sooooo handsome. I've many pics I'm going to post soon enough. I like to compare Nigredo and Remus, as they are close in age and color etc.

Glad you did alright with the doggies today. Could have been bad, right? Nice to see you're doing well... and just plain nice to see you. Have a nice day.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Good to see you. I'm all insured to be a dog walker so sm covered for most things fingers crossed. The woods are so thick where we were today that even Remus, being the fastest, wouldn't have got one of the deer because he's too tall to get under the canopy off the trees..plus he only likes to go fast in nice soft grass or sand. He stops all the time when running in woods because he doesn't want to get hurt, his prey drive isn't very high at all, today is the first time he's chosen to chase a deer, usually he just watches them...I have a feeling he may have been chasing Ollie and not the deer!

Oh and I forgot to put in this pic for you that I thought you'd like. Good to hear you're feeling a bit brighter. Xx

Tessabelle
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Lovely to see Remus and Tonks again! they are so gorgeous, love the last pic
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Orrrrrr.... maybe his "puppy" is going away and he is starting to like to chase things. But let's hope you're right, and not me. Nigredo has never chased anything wildlife. Thank goodness.

Being a gun dog mix... it's kinda not what he was bred to do. He DOES swim after the ducks, though... but of course isn't able to catch any as they fly away once he gets close.

BTW... the pic... wait, wait, wait. HAHA!! I wish my dogs would do that. Jade would growlllll and snarl and it would be UGLY if Nigredo tried to pull a stunt like that.

Nigredo and Remus seem equally "pushy" but the difference is in how Jade and Tonks deal with it. Jade only gets scared and cowers whereas I can imagine what Tonks did when she was pestered. Therein lies the difficulty.

Just for a quick update on them... they hate each other more than ever, but I have gotten them to a point where they can leave each other alone 100% and be right next to each other.

They won't lay close, they won't play, and they just generally dislike each other. But I'd rather them be not friends than enemies. At least old Jade is past the point where she's running from him. I had so hoped they'd be friends, they started so well. But I don't think it's in the cards. Oh, well!
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Very handsome pair That last pic is brilliant lol
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Aww I love that photo of Remus and Tonks Rosie sits in window too, I have permanent nose 'art' in our living room windows tbh I'm not sure why I bother to clean them
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I found them in the lounge today, Tonks was sitting and Remus was holding her muzzle shut in his mouth..she was just looking at him as if to say 'I hate you....but I just can't be bothered to kill you' lol

Her jaws are far stronger than his so she could have opened her mouth if she wanted to...I just don't think she could be bothered! The next minute they are curled up on the sofa together and she is cleaning his face all over. She definitely a lover not a fighter and, although he really annoys her sometimes, she seems to know he's just annoying and there's no malice in him. Sometimes she actively asks him to play, but a lot of times he goads her into playing...but she never says no to a cuddle. She is just an extremely tolerant dog really, and she loves physical contact, that's the main reason we got another dog because, having two very small children, there wasn't a lot of time for me to be cuddling Tonks. She's definitely calmer since Remus has arrived, gets longer more regular walks and has someone to cuddle all the time .... So I think that balances out with having every part of her nibbled when he wants to play.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Cute story, Catrin. I adore Tonks' personality. Always have. It seems as if Tonks just deals with Remus' annoying stunts, or maybe... they don't bother her nearly as much as they bother Jade.

I think that's the big difference between Jade and Tonks personality-wise. Things bother Jade way more. It's kinda sad because I had hoped they'd be friends.

She likes to lay down and snuggle up to another animal when Nigredo can barely lay still for one second and when in her presence... only tried to play with her.

She has never really liked to play, and isn't an athletic dog at all. She's never touched a single toy I've ever gotten her. She will play a little (doesn't like rough play at ALL) and then lay down, and that doesn't suit a puppy.

I started calling him away to play with me when he went to play with her once it started getting ugly with puffed chests and both dogs growling and whatnot, realizing they won't be friends.

He is understanding well, he's as smart as they come, and leaves her alone most of the time now. He finally gets the message, I think. And sadly that message is...

"I don't like you, and I won't play with you."
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3