Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If my OH had wanted to use an ecollar on my dog, he'd never lay another hand on that dog, ever!
Amen. If my OH did such a thing to our dog, I think he'd be packing his suitcases. I don't take such abuses lightly. Luckily he wouldn't even consider it.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Just read through this thread and I am GOBSMACKED.

The OP has obviously not tried EVERYTHING or the dog would now be in a training and behavioural programme with a qualified behaviourist.

EVERYTHING has also not been tried or the dog would be on a longline around livestock.

And finally, I consider the bottom line of EVERYTHING to mean finding the dog another home.

Here I am, just taken on a rescue dog of a high-drive breed, a complete unknown, and I live in the middle of the most rural livestock area you can think of (mid Somerset). Cows, sheep, horses and even chickens at every turn [not to mention rabbits, deer, foxes, badgers, hares and pheasants].

No way would I let any dog off lead in the vicinity of farm stock, and never will, not even my other dog. I don't consider that cruel I consider it common sense and responsibility.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

its classic tho isnt it.... used the collar once and its the best thing since sliced bread and the dog is for want of a better word 'cured'

dangerous and nieve
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
its classic tho isnt it.... used the collar once and its the best thing since sliced bread and the dog is for want of a better word 'cured'

dangerous and nieve
Yep...and more fodder for AP to pat himself on the back and tell everyone he was right.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Amen. If my OH did such a thing to our dog, I think he'd be packing his suitcases. I don't take such abuses lightly. Luckily he wouldn't even consider it.
lol.. well my ex said to me one to many times..'its me or the dogs' ... the word 'ex' answers what i did
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
lol.. well my ex said to me one to many times..'its me or the dogs' ... the word 'ex' answers what i did
Good call. That would have been my answer too! Wanting to get a dog was one of my requirements in a partner!
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I just don't understand it all, I've reread it this morning, I know my dog would kill sheep etc, I live next to a farm, I've fort knoxed the garden, and I am soo careful where he goes off lead. It isn't rocket science.

It's very selfish to land owners, and shows a real bloody mindiness, to decide you want a high prey drive, to be able to roam where YOU choose. As you think controlling, the dog by being on a lead in those situations, is cruel.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Gnasher, despite what you seem to imply, many of us can empathise with your situation with Ben. Many of us here have had, or still have dogs with recall issues or, have had dogs that appear not to want to live with each other and have had to manage the situation and many members have also had to deal with rescue dogs with various issues.

Whilst we haven't always seen eye to eye, I honistly thought you were better than this.

The final thing I've got to say is this:

If I were you I'd quit whilst I were ahead. You will really learn what trouble is if he ever comes to associate the shock with either of you, your other dog or any other person, animal, noise, object or invironment.

You've so far got the desired result, try to maintain it with patience and using methods that will strengthen Ben's trust in you, not methods that risk destroying it.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Why not get a handyman/carpenter to build a screen for your window(s) so you can open them without the risk of Rupe getting out through them? I implemented a similar thing for my bedroom window when I had indoor rabbits - I didn't want one leaping out of the open window and falling to its death but obviously needed a window open for fresh air. My stepdad made a wooden frame around a piece of mesh from an old chinchilla cage (so nice, sturdy mesh) and I just slid it into the open window (old sash window, so the window shut onto the wooden frame and held it in place, but you could have other kind of fastenings for a regular window). Voila, fresh air, but secure window so no need to crate Rupe. There are non-harmful work-arounds for pretty much most things that allow the dog the freedom it needs, or at least a happy medium.

Sarah- I have screens, means I can open windows and not worry about Mack jumping out of a window after anything. Houses have them as standard here, but in the UK I bought some that popped inside the window frames, for the living room, you can also take them out when not needed.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Moonstone View Post
Sarah- I have screens, means I can open windows and not worry about Mack jumping out of a window after anything. Houses have them as standard here, but in the UK I bought some that popped inside the window frames, for the living room, you can also take them out when not needed.
soz o/t

where did u get them suz?
Closed Thread
Page 14 of 83 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 > Last »