Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 12:19 AM

Changing flavours of commercial food

This is a bit of a random post but for those people who feed commercial dog food do you change the flavours about at all. Mine usually get wainwrights turkey and rice but they had none in today so I duck and rice instead. Do dogs appreciate different flavours or is it all just food to them? Does it matter changing the flavour e.g. giving differnet meat and grains (say turkey and rice to salmon and potato) or does it just depend on the stomach of the dog? Mine just gobble whats in front of them usually so just interested is all
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 12:35 AM
I've often wondered this too as Tilly has been on Oscars chicken & rice since she was about 7 months old! Although I do add various bits to it for interest she did seem to go off it recently. I always get 15kg bags as it works out a lot more expensive to buy the smaller ones from Oscars although they do different flavours.
So I recently changed her to James Well Beloved which I can buy 3 small bags for the price of 2. It is still chicken & rice she's having at the mo but I'm thinking about trying the turkey, lamb & fish ones for a bit of variety.
I also wonder if the 15kg bags go stale after a while because one of those lasts 3 months & although sealed I'm not sure..
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 12:37 AM
Hpefully someone can answer us soon

Bless Tilly making 15kg last 3 months, it lasts 2 weeks here with the chomp machines
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-02-2012, 12:39 AM
i try to mix it up,they do have prefferences ,but when it comes down to eating, if all they have to eat is one kind, they will simply eat,out of nessesity and not for prefference,iv seen dogs that only eat one thing all there life ,there fine with it..i think!no choises sound very boring and sometime not good for a dog.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Hpefully someone can answer us soon

Bless Tilly making 15kg last 3 months, it lasts 2 weeks here with the chomp machines
Yes she's a cheap eater & I haven't given her any raw wings for ages (shame on me) just raw carrots & those blooming wriggly chew things she loves (can't remember what they called)
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 12:46 AM
If I gave different flavours, we would get problems both digest e & skin wise
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-02-2012, 01:18 AM
one of my dog is allergic to lots,i do have a few different types for kibbles to choose from that she likes.i also feed her raw chicken, deer, moose and turkey.its the grains that dont agree.ih ave to read carfully .
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 01:26 AM
I dont believe in feeding dogs the same thing day after day. They are scavengers, and designed to eat whatever they can get.

I have 5 or 6 different brands and flavours of dry kibble, 3 or 4 brands and no flavour the same of canned, 2 or 3 brands/flavours of dehydrated raw, plus alot of extras like eggs, sardines, baked sweet potato, raw meat, fruits and veggies, kelp, salmon oil, olive oil, and other supplements. I give them something different every meal.

Oliver had a dodgy tummy for more than a year, he would get sick from everything except Orijen 6-fish, and Acana Pacifica, so I assumed that he couldn't handle any protein but fish... but it's not true. Yes he has a sensitive tummy, but only to new things, now, he can eat whatever I give him except Raw meat. he gets very sick from raw meat. I tried a raw diet with him for 3 weeks... I got really sick of cleaning up constant diarrhea, so I stopped trying... I still to this day cannot feed him raw meat.

But I digress. My dogs LOVE their meals, they love getting something new all the time, they've never been picky, but they're alot happier with meals now
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 07:23 AM
I stick with the same brands, but always change around the flavours. Having a dog with a sensitive tum, I remember reading that it is actually good to change flavours often, it's something to do with helping the good bacteria in the gut apparently, but bit more involved to remember what it does exactly! From what I read though, it's a good thing to do this, so I do it.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2012, 07:41 AM
Dogs are very scent driven and as scent and taste are very closely linked, then I would think the different smell and taste are appreciated and welcomed.

We know that dogs have their favourite things when it come to taste (for example this is my second dog that would kill for a piece of apple) so it's logical to believe that they appreciate a variety of taste in their diet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >