Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Is it really abanding the dogs?

As I don't think it is, but apparently I'm abanding and dropping Honey and Diesel for my own wants.

Whats happening is that tomorrow evening/night I'm heading to this guys house, and as I'll of been away from my flat from 7:50 in the morning till about five the next day I've asked someone else to look after the dogs, and am hoping to be able to get back earlier for them, but one of my friends told me that I am abanding my dogs, and is really trying to make me feel guilty, saying stuff to other people about what I'm doing, and I'm wondering whether I should not go, its the first time that I'll of left them anywhere, and I know that they will be fine, but I'm also kind of worried what people will think, as I know that there are people waiting for me to fail with the pets, as some think that I have too many, but I do know that because of the age difference that the person who said this don't want me going to this guys house either, she don't like the whole circumstances, even though she's never met him so what is it, should I just ignore the person and go, or is what I'm doing wrong?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:24 PM
My dogs are being left with my OH's parents this weekend whilst I go out down town for my 19th - it's not abandoning - it's like a parent going out for a night - take a break sort of thing.

Maybe she's just joking - my friends made me feel guilty when I couldnt go out with them but they were just joking around.

You do everything for your dogs so if you want a night out then have one and at leats your not leaving them on their own, you're leaving them with a friend...how is that failing them?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I dont see that as abandonment what-so-ever. You have made plans for the dogs and made sure they will be well looked after while you are away, what more can you do? Its no different to when we go on holiday is it, but you'll be back sooner

Go and enjoy yourself, its got nothing to do with this person where you are going or what you are doing. Just be sure to be safe and let someone know where you are if you're meeting someone for the first time. [sorry to sound patronising!]

Hope you have a good time x
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Hmmm it is a tricky one Personally I would not leave my dogs over night. I wouldn't say you are abandoning them at all though and this is just my opinion.

But then, you see, I also would never leave my children over night, they are my responsibility and it is my duty to look after them.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Are you leaving someone in charge of your dogs, or is someone just popping in to check on them?
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:01 PM
maybe she is worried about you and trying to persuade you to change your mind through commenting on the dogs as she knows you care about them and might listen for them but not for yourself? Personally I don't think you're 'abandoning' them
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:09 PM
I left someone to keep an eye on my dogs when I was away for a weekend once. She didn`t. I arrived back to two thirsty, distressed dogs shut in a faeces smeared kitchen. I`ll never do that again.
So just make sure your friend knows exactly what needs to be done and who to contact if anything goes wrong.
Is there no-one you can leave them with?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I have left Teagan over night before....Isochick has looked after her for me (She's my sister), i've also had a friend stay at the house.
Teagan has stayed at someone elses house...
I've also had to leave her on her own before over night, with someone popping in at meal times to feed her (she has a dog flap so can go to the toilet when she likes).

So no, your not abandoning them! Far from it!
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Can the bloke come to your place insted?
It's not abandoning as you're getting someone to look after them. If you just left them without anyone to check on them then it would be abandonment. Sounds to me that you're being responsible by getting someone to look after them. The other person doesn't sound much like a friend & I wouldn't trust someone who's throwing such accusations around to care for my dog for a second. My recomendation to you is to find a better friend.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 08:22 PM
It's not clear if this person is going to move in with the dogs or just pop in to feed them.

I would never leave a dog alone that long with just someone coming in to feed. Different if it is a cat I think.

I once paid a young work colleague to live in my house with my GSD while I was on holiday (the GSD HATED the kennels).

On my return the next door neighbours told me she didn't actually sleep there and hardly stopped for five mins when she popped in and that they'd managed to get the dog over the fence every day and keep it with them for much of the time as she was obviously pining. I felt SO BAD about it. After that, it was always a family member to dogsit.

Regarding your going to visit a friend - is there no possibility of you taking the dogs along? They presumably know you have the responsibility of dogs.

I took my KCK Spaniel almost everywhere with me apart from annual holidays when she went to my sister and got spoiled for a couple of weeks. Love me love my dog!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >