Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Anyone any experience of...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngeal_paralysis
Laryngeal paralysis???
Biff has started to sound hoarse when barking and pants even more than usual, especially when out on a walk (he only has 10 minute walks 4 times a day now as well bless him.) The vet said the panting is not to do with anything in his chest, his heart murmer is a low grade one. Since mentioning to the vet about the panting, the hoarseness has started.
Any comments or experience, or ideas for what else it could be?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Sorry, Ailsa, no advice or information for you.

Just wanted to ask you to give the Bifter a huge hug from me.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 07:49 PM
I've only heard the true sound of this in horses. Although, thinking back, Cassie's bark turned to something quite strange, difficult to describe it, sort of softer, quieter, muffled, almost like she had a big rag stuck in her throat when she barked? NOt much help, sorry A, I just hope Biff improves, and sending him a few big hugs to help him through this, whatever his problem might be. xxxxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks Hali, he appreciates it. It doesn't seem to bother him too much but his exercise ability has been reduced even further, which is problematic for his arthritis, which seems bad at the moment too. The lipoma by his willy also seems to have grown and I am concerned he is starting to worry at it...the vets said they probably wouldn't be able to take that one off because of where it is. He isn't great at the moment, but then at the same time he has started playing more with Cosmo, although I think he has handed the top dog hat over and that's why. Bless him.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've only heard the true sound of this in horses. Although, thinking back, Cassie's bark turned to something quite strange, difficult to describe it, sort of softer, quieter, muffled, almost like she had a big rag stuck in her throat when she barked? NOt much help, sorry A, I just hope Biff improves, and sending him a few big hugs to help him through this, whatever his problem might be. xxxxx
Thanks H. It doesn't seem to bother him too mcuh, certainly doesn't hurt as he's barking just as much! I think he is officially falling to bits. The stuff I've read said to monitor exercise, but we couldn't monitor it anymore than we do already...sigh.
Thanks H.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I feel a trip to the vet coming on.
My OH is becoming concerned that when we were doing some stuff up at Dogs Trust the otgher day, one of our vets, who was in her car, smiled and waved at him and obviously knew him even out of context like that. Worrying.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Know about Laryngeal paralysis but have no experience of it, believe it should show up in a blood test so perhaps you could ask the vet about it. My sister thought one of her dogs had it and in some breeds it is a known problem, my sisters dog turned out to have leashmania (sp) in the end, equally unpleasant condition.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks Pita, the stuff I read said it can only be confirmed by an examination under sedation, which we wouldn't want. he's about due for some more blood tests though so I'll ask. Thanks.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Hi the only help i can give is to go onto the 'Leonberger' website. They had a bit about laryngeal paralysis (sp). It's something which is hard to diagnose and when i heard about it - i think thats what my leo had when she was only a wee pup - luckily though she survived. That wasn't the diagnosis though but the symptoms were identical.

Good Luck.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2008, 05:30 AM
Poor Biff.

Sorry Ailsa, I've had no experience of this, so can't really advise you. Just wanted to send some healing vibes and some hugs to the Bifter and you all

x0x0x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >