View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 01:06 AM
What if the breeder moved had tried to contact the puppy buyer but had response. a recorded letter would be a complete waste of time,
Ive got a puppy buyer whos ignoring me,,,,what if I move and she decided ro sell.....am I in the wrong....I mail, ansd try to ring every week. So am I not allowed to move in case this buyer tries to rehome the pup and send me a letter " recorded" t
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
It'd be the very same procedure for when you get in microchipped strays but you can't get hold of the owner/not returning calls.
We've been here already as you well no....the owners register the dogs in ther name and the breeders details arent updated
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
We've been here already as you well no....the owners register the dogs in ther name and the breeders details arent updated
I didn't mean those microchipped by breeders. We often get strays in with microchips but then can't trace the owner. By law we have to send them a letter recorded delivery and wait 7 days before the dog in legally ours. Although those microchipped by the breeder can indeed be traced back providing the breeder keeps the chip company (or vets if they did the chipping) informed of a change of address.

Wouldn't the KC have your new address?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 02:03 AM
That still doesnt address the fact that without definitive proof from the breeder, it's their word against yours, and could be construed as libel.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
That still doesnt address the fact that without definitive proof from the breeder, it's their word against yours, and could be construed as libel.
It's only if the rescue lied they could be done for libel but if they have proof they've tried to contact the breeder to no avail the breeders not going to get very far with their claim.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Paddywack ,Yes ethical breeders always take their puppies back though they tend to have waiting lists for their puppies and choose the new owners with great care so returned dogs/rescue dogs aren't really a problem.

I would be very much against naming and shaming as you suggest, I am against witch hunts and accusing people when I am not in possession of the full facts.

I know of one very ethical breeder on here who had one of her lovely dogs sold on without her knowledge, she did everything in her power to find that dog and did so eventually. It could so easily have ended up in rescue.

From your posts you seem very anti breeders and pro rescues (though your profile and lack of introduction tell us little about yourself) I can think of a couple of rescues that are less than perfect but I wouldn't think of trying to name and shame them from a position of anonymity on a website without being in possession of the full facts, I would take any information I might have to the appropriate authorities.
You can't blame me for finding it a little strange, one thread talks about how ethical breeders dogs never end up in rescue, but they do so obviously these dogs are from breeders who make out they're ethical when they're not. I would have thought a naming and shaming list of those fakers would please the true ethical breeders.

I would 100% agree with a naming and shaming a list for dodgy rescues, in-fact I think one is needed. It was borderdawns suggestion (which imo was a good one) of a naming and shaming list of breeders of dogs who ended up in rescue, that got me thinking.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 10:00 AM
But it's true that the breeder doesn't always have any control over the situation. I sold a puppy to a family, heard no more after the first few weeks, they decided to get rid of him after a while but were "too ashamed" to contact me, and he ended up in the pound. Fortunately, the people in the pound knew of the Dalmatian welfare organisation and they were able to trace me so something could be done. I would be mortified if someone had stirred things up on a case that I had no knowledge of. There are too many people causing trouble which does not benefit the dogs at the end of the day. This is not to say that people shouldn't speak out, but they need to consider each case carefully and on its own circumstances.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2007, 11:29 AM
In this situation Dally rescue would contact you, if you then refused to take the dog back (which you obviously wouldn't) your name would be added to the list.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
It's only if the rescue lied they could be done for libel but if they have proof they've tried to contact the breeder to no avail the breeders not going to get very far with their claim.
I'm afraid it's not that simple when it comes to libel/slander.

The rescue would need more than proof that they just tried to contact the breeder before they shame them. You cannot shame someone for something, by name, without having proof of it. It would still be the breeders word against the rescue. The rescue may well be honest, but the breeder could then deny that they refused to take back dogs. You would need something signed to say they refused to take it back. Proof that you tried to contact them is not enough, and Libel laws are very clear.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Apparently not so If the breeder wanted to take the rescue to court for slander it would be down to the breeder to prove the rescue didn't contact them.
Page 6 of 25 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »