Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
Interesting as I read that thread and the impression being giving was ethical breeders always take their pups back. Yet when it's mentioned about naming and shaming those that don't, most seem to be against the idea - how strange!
Originally Posted by Paddywack
What about the ones that come in with papers and the rescue contacts the breeder and they refuse to take back.
Paddywack ,Yes ethical breeders always take their puppies back though they tend to have waiting lists for their puppies and choose the new owners with great care so returned dogs/rescue dogs aren't really a problem.

I would be very much against naming and shaming as you suggest, I am against witch hunts and accusing people when I am not in possession of the full facts.

I know of one very ethical breeder on here who had one of her lovely dogs sold on without her knowledge, she did everything in her power to find that dog and did so eventually. It could so easily have ended up in rescue.

From your posts you seem very anti breeders and pro rescues (though your profile and lack of introduction tell us little about yourself) I can think of a couple of rescues that are less than perfect but I wouldn't think of trying to name and shame them from a position of anonymity on a website without being in possession of the full facts, I would take any information I might have to the appropriate authorities.
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Yes ethical breeders should take back dogs they have bred but do we, as dog lovers, really want BYB and puppy farmers/dealers to take their dogs back - surely these poor dogs would be better off with the breed rescue. After all the BYB and farmers/dealers found the first home and weren't very careful about that, what makes us think they will make a better job of it second time around. As for naming and shaming - do they really care?
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by novavizz View Post
Yes ethical breeders should take back dogs they have bred but do we, as dog lovers, really want BYB and puppy farmers/dealers to take their dogs back - surely these poor dogs would be better off with the breed rescue. After all the BYB and farmers/dealers found the first home and weren't very careful about that, what makes us think they will make a better job of it second time around. As for naming and shaming - do they really care?
It's not about getting them to take dogs back, it's about exposing them as ruthless money hungry breeders.

Yes, some of them do care about being exposed, as some of them Show dogs and wouldn't appreciate the bad publcity a such,
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 10:46 PM
I personally think it'd be a good idea. It would shame the so called ethical breeders who give genuine ethical breeders a bad name.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
I personally think it'd be a good idea. It would shame the so called ethical breeders who give genuine ethical breeders a bad name.
It is a good idea anne but thats all it ever can be a idea ,unless one wants to end up in court for slander as I said before it would only be hearsay as who would have the facts.xxzbx
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
It is a good idea anne but thats all it ever can be a idea ,unless one wants to end up in court for slander as I said before it would only be hearsay as who would have the facts.xxzbx
It would only be slander if you lied.

Scenario - rescue comes in with papers - breeder contacted - doesn't want to know - name goes on list.

If a breeder's dog was falsely put on the list, or the breeder hadn't been contacted first then yes they could push for slander and would have every right to. But I can't imagine rescues would just add names for the sake of it.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 12:53 AM
It would only be slander if you lied. Scenario - rescue comes in with papers - breeder contacted - doesn't want to know - name goes on list. If a breeder's dog was falsely put on the list, or the breeder hadn't been contacted first then yes they could push for slander.
I think what she was getting at is the fact that for Slander to be ruled out, you would need to prove that they refused to take the dog back ! It's your word over theirs, unless you send them a form of sorts as confirmation that for whtever reason they couldnt take the dog back and returned the form to the rescue, which I can't see them complying with.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 12:56 AM
You could send a letter recorded delivery - wouldn't need to be signed and returned.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 12:59 AM
You could send a letter recorded delivery - wouldn't need to be signed and returned.
If it isn't returned how are you going to prove they refused to take the dog back ???

You can't "assume" they refused, to rule out slander.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2007, 01:00 AM
It'd be the very same procedure for when you get in microchipped strays but you can't get hold of the owner/not returning calls.
Page 5 of 25 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »