View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Thankyou so much Andrew! It's lovely to hear from people who knew the area a long time ago. We've been here just two years, but it felt like home the day we moved in. Sounds like you would have been right on our doorstep in those days. I won't post the name of our street online, but suffice it to say that Holden road/Westward view, Sudbury road etc... are very close indeed. Actually, these few streets recently got our very own postal address of Brighton-le-Sands, although we're told that people in the area have always called it that. And we regularly walk the dog on the flat grassy area you mentioned: the sand dunes are pretty heavily managed these days to stop them taking over everything!

As I say, it's lovely to hear from somebody with such a connection with the place. I bet your Nan would have had a few stories to tell about the area too. Do you know when she came (or was born) here? I wonder if she remembered all these houses being built...? I'd like to do a little bit of research into the inter-war history of the area at some point. Thanks so much for your comments
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2008, 01:40 PM
ohhh thats not too far from me!!

great pics,,
Andrew42
New Member!
Male 

02-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks for your feedback duboing, and I'm glad to hear I didn't upset anyone waffling too much off subject (I don't even own a dog!) Here's what I'll promise - I've been meaning to gather some family history for my little boys sake, before its too late - things get forgotten - lost for good. I'd be delighted to come back here, post you and pass on whatever I can. I believe my grandfather owned the house from new, not bad for a fireman. He helped keep Liverpool extinguished during the war, he was also keen on his camera too (and binoculars, anything with a lens I guess lol) so I wouldn't be surprised if I get hold of many old photos of the area and sands. I'll pass on whatever might help your history. Won't happen soon, but I will come back here some time 2008.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 09:22 PM
great place to walk ill bet ,i tell you what though those statues are really weird ,could be very weird after few drinks lol
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
Freaky statues Dont think i'll be visiting any time soon
I thought that.......been looking at pic's how real do they look. I'd think I was being watched...
ally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-04-2008, 07:03 AM
Great to see the playground of my childhood, would love to have it near me now. Still go quite often as my parents still live off Brooke Rd. Went to Saint Nicholas School and then Chesterfield. In the days when children had their freedom I spent most of my school holidays down there playing in the dunes and swimming in the river. My dog loves it there and still take my kids but don't let them swim (still manage to get wet though).
Glad the iron men are staying they are impressive and the kids find them very amusing!!
Pippin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2008, 08:13 AM
ooo that was brill, feel home sick now..
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3