Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
But if it was trying to get over with the purpose of attacking them/trying to get over while acting aggressive...I think they can order it wears a muzzle out of the house but how would that have stopped this (I'm just assuming from the news I got that it was indoors?)?
I never saw any reports that said the dog had acted aggressively towards anyone else.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 06:42 PM
me either.

Apparently the owner of the house owns the dog (they know his name- alex someone)
This lady was lodging there (according to reports) she was a lawyer.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 06:47 PM
It seems an odd one but very sad
I was glad to hear on the radio, someone saying that the mastiff group were not high on the list of 'people attacks' very unusual......people should not worry about every mastiff type they see......
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 06:54 PM
sorry Iv not read all the way through but how come the police are still trying to find/the owner to come forward? I take it someone told them she was looking after it for a friend....but no one knows what friend?
The owner of the dog - Alex Blackburn-Smith - is the owner of the house. The woman killed was a lodger.

As to neighbours' complaints about the dog, that could have been anything. I am sure my neighbours could complain about my dog barking at them through the fence if they wanted to, but it doesn't mean Merlin would savage someone to death.

As to the 'Belgian Mastiff' I am hoping with all my might that some idiot hasn't crossed a Belgian Malinois with a mastiff.... can you imagine the drive of one combined with the weight and size of the other?
merryvale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-12-2010, 06:57 PM
sorry Iv not read all the way through but how come the police are still trying to find/the owner to come forward?

I take it someone told them she was looking after it for a friend....but no one knows what friend?
No she was a lodger in the house where the dog lived. The dogs owner was not there at the time.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 07:00 PM
It's all so sad really
Strange the man hasnt come forward - makes you wonder what complaints had been made in the past if he is reluctant...but we just dont know - he could be on the North Pole without a phone for all we know, traumatised at the thought that he, through his dog, has caused this - we simply dont know yet.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 07:02 PM
Just seen the neighbour being interviewed on ITV news and againn he said about his fence being damaged with the dog trying to jump over it, and it showed the chain next to the fence where he said the dog was always tied up outside
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Seems they have the guy now, on suspicion of manslaughter.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Regardless as to the reasons why, it is a great shame that yet another person and dog had to loose their lives, a family is left to pick up the pieces, and a puppy is likely to be destroyed for being guilty by association.

But, there is an even greater tragedy and that is:

That it will just carry on business as usual.

People will continue to judge danger on appearance not behaviour, the law will continue to enforce this view. That law, meant to protect will continue to fail, the guiltywill continue to thrive and the innocent will continue to suffer.

Until those with the power, decide to break the cycle, lessons will remain unlearnd by far to many, preached but never practiced.

"Who is innocent?
is it relevant in the world today?"
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Delos View Post
I'm confused why are people more worried about the dog than the person killed. Or more interested in the puppy than the 5 year old that was also in the house? Some dog owners are too quick to say poor dog and it wasn't the dogs fault etc forgetting the human tragedy involved.

I hope that if the puppy is deemed dangerous it is PTS. If not the liklihood as there are so many in shelters it would anyway as finding a home for a dog deemed to come from a dangerous home is unlikely.

Every dog attack effects us all as owners. It effects public perceptions of dogs and owners and reinforces silly laws such as the dog control orders in some parks.

The police are looking for the owner.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12072694
why am i not surprised at your post...
Page 7 of 24 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »