Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Well here's an update. We're now being prosecuted by the family of the cat my dog killed! I was going to write to them but was advised not to by the police. I gave them my address and phone number so they could contact us when they were ready but they didn't so we were advised to leave it. Now they're saying we've not been in touch with them so they're prosecuting us for having a vicious out of control dog.
My hubby and I are going through a really hard time at the moment and this is just the icing on the cake. I'm so upset I wanna cry
Sorry to hear this hun, can not be easy for you both.
The only comfort is that it will get better I am sure and this terrible time will be behind you both xxxxxxxxxx Hugs xxxxxx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

04-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Oh Zoe I'm so sorry to read this but please try to keep calm (I know that's very difficult) they maybe just 'trying it on' if they've been to a lawyer he's probably told them they have nothing to loose by bringing a prosecution (Well he would wouldn't he £ signs flashing in his eyes)

If they want to prove you have a 'dangerous dog' then they need some witnesses that he's attacked a human, can they get that ? from what you've written before I doubt it.

You must be worried and upset, don't know what else to say, you could still offer to pay them something or help to find another cat, it's funny what money will do to some people.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I've just been called home from work by my husband who was really upset.
My 18 year old step-son (Matthew) who has special needs let my dog (Danny)out of the house and the front gate. He's a lurcher and we know that he doesn't get on with cats hence why we are really careful not to let him out off the lead.
Anyway, Matt let him out and didn't tell my husband until 10mins later whereupon my hubby ran up the road to find him. When he saw this woman crying he realised that Danny had gone into their front garden, taken the cat and run off down the path. She then witnessed him killing the cat.
Obviously they were really upset by this but my husband had to go home because he had severe chest pain and 2 kids with special needs at home.
I then came home and went up to see the family to explain what had happened and why my hubby had to come home.
They were crying and her husband said he would call the police and I should do to Danny what he did to the cat.
I apologised unreservedly and gave my address and phone number and said I would contact the police myself to explain what had happened.
They were very gracious considering what they had just seen.
Her husband said that he saw Danny at 12pm roaming around but that was impossible as I was home till 12.45pm and he was at home all morning.
The police said it wasn't really up to them to sort it but he would pass it onto the local bobby and he would contact us.
I'm so upset for this family. Distraught in fact. And I'm distraught because it was my dog and I fear for him.
Can my dog get put down for this? He's really gentle with humans and other dogs and kids but not with cats.
I'm contacting my insurance company just to let them know.
This unfortunately is nature. No, he cannot be put down for killing a cat, it is just a sad fact of life that sometimes dogs will follow their instincts. They are after all dogs, not humans, not an extension of our personalities, of us, however much we might think of them as "our babies". The are animals, red in tooth and claw.

What a ridiculous reaction "to do to Danny what he had done to the cat" ... what did that cat do every day of its life, most likely? Follow it's instinct and kill birds by the thousand over it's lifetime, and mice and anything that moved.

Don't beat yourself up over this, your dog was only following his instinct. Lurchers are very "natural" dogs, with a very high prey drive. Danny is only following his instincts.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:50 PM
It probably is of no comfort whatsoever, but I am going to say it just to show that the heavens do not descend on Turkey Lurkey's head if a lurcher kills a cat. My parents had a staffie, they had several staffies over the years, all of whom were "free range" at night in their 6 acres of garden. The fencing was completely dog proof, the dog could not get out, but of course animals like cats could get in. One day, my father found the paws and not much else of what was evidently a cat being consumed by their staffie. It was very distressing, but what can you do? This is nature, dogs are not little fluffy veggie bunnies, they are meat-eating descendents of wolves, with all the instincts and desires of their ancient ancestors. My father was terribly sorry for the cat, but was it the dog's fault that he had killed and eaten it? Any more than was it the cat's fault when he killed and ate that little Goldcrest, or Wren, or Robin, or any other songbird that you care to mention that is far more rare and precious than any moggy.

Anyone who condemns Danny for killing the cat just does not understand dogs.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Oh Zoe I'm so sorry to read this but please try to keep calm (I know that's very difficult) they maybe just 'trying it on' if they've been to a lawyer he's probably told them they have nothing to loose by bringing a prosecution (Well he would wouldn't he £ signs flashing in his eyes)

If they want to prove you have a 'dangerous dog' then they need some witnesses that he's attacked a human, can they get that ? from what you've written before I doubt it.

You must be worried and upset, don't know what else to say, you could still offer to pay them something or help to find another cat, it's funny what money will do to some people.
What about all the birds that cats kill !! Cat owners never like to be confronted by the thousands of rare songbirds, dormice, shrews and other little creatures that their pets kill every year. "Oh," they cry "it is their nature to kill birds!". Well I'm sorry, but it is dog's nature to chase cats. The lion and the wolf ... deadly enemies. You CANNOT condemn the poor dog for following his instinct. And I am sure that the law would see this in the same way. If it were a human that Danny had bitten or tried to eat, then that would be different. Bless him, he is probably the most delightful dog ever, like all lurchers. I can honestly say hand on heart I have never ever met a nasty lurcher. But every single one will chase a cat!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Sorry to hear this hun, can not be easy for you both.
The only comfort is that it will get better I am sure and this terrible time will be behind you both xxxxxxxxxx Hugs xxxxxx
This is just ridiculous and makes my blood boil. Cats have no rights!! If you swerve to avoid a cat on the road, and in doing so you cause an accident, you will be prosecuted. You are allowed to swerve for a dog though. That is how much importance the law places on a cat's life. I am so sorry you are having this **** at the moment, please don't worry, I am absolutely sure the police will take no action.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
This unfortunately is nature. No, he cannot be put down for killing a cat, it is just a sad fact of life that sometimes dogs will follow their instincts. They are after all dogs, not humans, not an extension of our personalities, of us, however much we might think of them as "our babies". The are animals, red in tooth and claw.

What a ridiculous reaction "to do to Danny what he had done to the cat" ... what did that cat do every day of its life, most likely? Follow it's instinct and kill birds by the thousand over it's lifetime, and mice and anything that moved.

Don't beat yourself up over this, your dog was only following his instinct. Lurchers are very "natural" dogs, with a very high prey drive. Danny is only following his instincts.
{{ hugs}} to you Zoe

i have high prey drive dogs.
i feel the problem arises from the fact it happened on someone elses property if it had been the street or your own garden this probably wouldnt of got this far .i know of quite a few dogs that have killed/injured cats...im would be very surprised if your dog will be ordered to be pts on a first offence(as so to speak) either way a stressfull time for you it was a terrible unfortunate accident,
my neighbours cat is driving my dogs insane they shouldnt even have the cat,and i have warned them
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I am so sorry, but I agree they are prob just at it
I really dont think you could get charged. but of course it is all distressing for you
Could you get the police to speak to them to say you were advised not to speak to them??
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Also, is your dog insured?? You might be able to get legal help paid through the insurance?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks so much guys. The police have been really nice about it but they have to follow regulations! The one who came tonight says he's got better things to do and was really apologetic but he has to act as the family wish to prosecute us.
I do feel really sorry for the family for what happened and I know they're really upset but I was told not to contact them and they could have written to us as they had our address and phone number.
I know it will be ok in the end but the timing is really bad. Just one more thing to have to deal with.
Page 6 of 11 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »