Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2004, 09:42 AM

AB puppies...

Going to have a look at some... this afternoon (i think).

They are advertised in the local newspaper for £500... which is very cheap, considering what they are... and what they usually go for.
Just going to be nosey really... and to see if they are what the people say they are... and to see if the peeps arn't complete idiots aswell.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

31-07-2004, 01:16 PM
take the camera Kirsty!!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2004, 05:32 AM
How did it go Kirsty?
Ozzy_AmericanBulldog
Dogsey Junior

04-08-2004, 02:15 PM
How did it go Kirsty? Who are they out of? Do they know what they are doing?

Ozzy xx
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Didn't manage to go to be honest... was too busy... if there in tonights paper... i'll ring and try and make arrangements for this weekend.
JonUK
Dogsey Junior

12-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Be very carefull about ad's in papers or people advertising on message boards selling AB's.
Since its arrival in 1994/95 the breed has become so popular.
There are so many charlatans buying a male and female breeding them with no idea of the dogs problems further back in peds,
normally jus for a quick £££. I have seen 6 smalltime breeders near to me(just to be nosey) and have been appauled by there lack of knowledge,about the breed,bloodlines,history etc etc
I own 1 AB have for about 6mths and i new more than the lot of them together.
I guess its the same with most breeds.
IMO it is much better to pay the extra £££ and go to a breeder with a good name, someone who either works or shows there dogs. This normally proves that they are really into there breed,not just after £££.
I've seen AB's for £200/300 for sale. I've a friend with a bitch cost him £350 real nice lookin dog. Hipscored BVA 24 unbreedable unless you want more dysplastic dogs.
I'm interested to find out who these dogs are out of too Kirstie.
I know were alot come down from there are a few big breeders that seem to sell to anyone no questions asked.
I'd love to have a litter of pups but never would unless i could guarantee that i could place them all in good homes.
Seems to me that some people just do it anyway.

Blimey this is my first post on here for months and i'm already on a rite rant.
Sorry all but i love this breed and i can see already its being over bred in the UK.
Ozzy_AmericanBulldog
Dogsey Junior

12-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Hi Jon,

i totally agree with you!! There are so many people just breeding any 2 dogs it's unreal!

If you have a look at my dogs, Kruger and Sasha come from :

SIRE : SARGENT SLAUGHTER OF BOYDS ( International, European and German Champion )

Dam : DAVIES BULLWRINKLE

and Taya is from :

SIRE : EARTHQUAKES FEAR THE THUNDER ( British Champion )

DAM : BYGRAVES LADY JUDY

but because people can go out and buy an AB for £200 they would rather do that than spend the extra money and get a dog that is from a good breeder, good lines, been Hip Scored etc etc.

We had Taya Hip Scored in April, her hips are 10, which is fantastic.

It is such a shame that there are so many unstable, unhealthy and dysplastic AB's being bred!! They dont care about the temperament, they dont get the dogs Hip Scored or checked over and unfortunately once these people mate their dogs, have a litter, sell the litter, then they will keep breeding because they can make money out of it because people will buy their pups.

Ozzy xxx
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ozzy_AmericanBulldog
Hi Jon,

i totally agree with you!! There are so many people just breeding any 2 dogs it's unreal!

If you have a look at my dogs, Kruger and Sasha come from :

SIRE : SARGENT SLAUGHTER OF BOYDS ( International, European and German Champion )

Dam : DAVIES BULLWRINKLE

and Taya is from :

SIRE : EARTHQUAKES FEAR THE THUNDER ( British Champion )

DAM : BYGRAVES LADY JUDY

but because people can go out and buy an AB for £200 they would rather do that than spend the extra money and get a dog that is from a good breeder, good lines, been Hip Scored etc etc.

We had Taya Hip Scored in April, her hips are 10, which is fantastic.

It is such a shame that there are so many unstable, unhealthy and dysplastic AB's being bred!! They dont care about the temperament, they dont get the dogs Hip Scored or checked over and unfortunately once these people mate their dogs, have a litter, sell the litter, then they will keep breeding because they can make money out of it because people will buy their pups.

Ozzy xxx
I agree too. I was talking to a guy tonight who has a pedigree and he's talking of putting him out for stud because of his 'perfect' colouring and stature. I'm no expert on dog breeding or shows, but I do know that it's about a lot more than those two factors.
Ozzy_AmericanBulldog
Dogsey Junior

12-08-2004, 11:33 PM

AB = American Bulldog.

The thing is they should realise that there is more to it than just " colouring " and " stature ". They should take into consideration temperament, they should have their dogs Hip Scored, Health checked, it depends on how good the pedigree is etc, etc.

I would never just breed from my dogs without having them Hip Scored first or if they hadnt got very good pedigrees. The first AB i bought, Ozzy, had a pedigree but it wasent worth the paper it was written on, he isnt good enough to be bred from, so i had him castrated. Luckily i am now very good friends with well know AB breeders and if they told me that one of my dogs wasent good enough to breed from then i wouldnt.

The way i see it is that there are far too many Dysplastic, unstable and unhealthy AB's around as it is, and there is no way that i am going to be responsible for breeding more.

Its a shame that many animals suffer just so people can make some money.

Ozzy xxx
JonUK
Dogsey Junior

13-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Hi ozzy,
seen the pics of your dawgs, very nice, hope you keepin them fit and lean. Sarge is an awesome dog, he has offspring in germany and america doing real well,which i'm sure your aware of. Don Matthews even has a son and daughter of his doing real well in catch comps and woods hunting. Also a few doing GDT,BST,IronDog etc which is all good!! Pete's Thunders an awesome dog too i've heard he really no's his stuff.

Your so rite you can't just throw to dogs together and expect great pups,doing this can bring serious faults up in the pups then they go on to be bred.Good breeders spend yrs researching the dogs in there dogs pedigree's to find out which dogs have which faults so they can compensate.The real good breeders get advice from the pro dogmen who bred there dogs.Even then its hard to no the truth.
People are even breeding 1yr old dogs together. How can they even tell what there dogs are like at that age??

Most people don't realize this breed was 1st registered in 1967, IMO before that it was a mixed up breed(they weren't a pure breed from oldern days thats just a marketing ployJMO). There's no documented evidence that it exsisted before that only a very few photo's and written accounts. I mean, it was called the American Pit Bulldog B4 1967. All the old time breeders done real well to create what we have today. But i've heard storys from people in america about these guys and there ethics and it aint all good.It was harder back then and alot of them did it for the money.
Its down to us now to make this dog better and better. Its great that theres people over here that are showing a genuine love for this breed and working towards bettering it.Even they argue about what it should look like though.

I have a Sure-grip/OSW hybrid,Floyd,a rescue and i love him,he's a good dog. I really like the old Scott lines and am learning about the Stover lines at present he used old JDJ/Scott lines as his foundations. I like alot of the Hines dogs to but i've heard he was a bit of a £££Miller in his day,but he still had some of the best dogs.IMO. I really like the Painter stuff to even with the rumours about it having so much APBT added, personally i think its also becoz he so tightly inbred it reduced the size of his dogs.
I'm not as keen on the pure JDJ lines but respect them as i've seen a few beautys that i'd love to own.Each to his own thats what i say.It makes the gene pool larger.

All the lines have problems/faults and alot of people keep it quiet,
there are still a few honest people out there,i try and listen to what everyone says then draw my own conclusions.

Congrats on Taya's hipscore,its great to here about good scores.
Do you have any plans to work them in any way (irondog etc)or show them?

Here's some recent pic's of Floyd and a couple of oldys

Dragweighting workout

Jumping for the Springpull

Pro head shot
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/jonmarkmet...ages/floyd.jpg
[Edit: Azz | I've removed the IMG tags for now as the pic was huge, once you've sorted the size simply come back here and 're-edit' it to include the IMG tags, also feel free to remove this note! Azz ]

Keep us posted with your lot,some more pics would be cool.

If any one has any questions about AB's fell free to ask.
I am certainley not a expert compared to many others but have put in hours of research.I'm usually to honest tho for some folk.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >