Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2010, 05:58 PM

Erm...RSPCA advice please

So, i get home from work and i get out my keys; there's sellotape over each lock (one mortar one yale) and there is a strip at the top joining the frame and door, and another at the bottom. Weird huh!

I take these off, unlock the door and go in, quite nervous at this point thinking "shat, the dogs are in the back, i hope they're ok".
Once in there's a piece of paper (A5-ish) from the RSPCA:

There was no reply when our inspector called at the above address. Could the person responsible for the care and feeding of the animal/s at this address please telephone 0300 1234 999 as a matter of urgency and quote the Inspector's number *******

Your co-operation is appreciated

So yea, i am now bricking it thinking 'what the **** is going on?'
We're new to the area (one month here so far - our first bought house :P) and there hasn't been any untoward behaviour or attitude from any neighbours, no concerning comments, and nothing really said that has got our attention in that way.
The dogs are kept outside say 8am - 4/5pm with ample garden space, two kennels, two food bowls (filled in AM & PM) one huge water bowl and the poo is cleaned up from the garden every evening without fail.
Actually, there are two oldies that once commented that they thought Missy (SBT) was scared of Crush (Lab-x) because Missy started cowering and put its ears down as it approached the gate (a behaviour that Missy displays when she meets noobs - that in that case happened to have an angry/yappy little Westie).
Any advice?
Harley & Me
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm sorry to hear this, must of been awful to return home to that. I am afraid I don't have much advice but to call them ASAP, it will look far better you responding quickly than later/not at all.

Hopefully you can get cleared up whatever they are calling for, it sounds like your doing everything right (watched programs about this before) and hopefully its just a missunderstanding/someone being horrible with no reason and called them.

Wish i could say more but please keep us updated on the situation and keeping my fingers crossed all is sorted soon as I know you must be a mess (as I would be if it were me).

Take care and thinking of you and your dogs.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Ring them and talk to them. The sellotape is placed there so if they return they can check if anyone has been in to the dogs....Sounds like someone has reported your dogs as being a cause for concern for some reason.

No personal experience but a swift response will show them that you care enough about your dogs to clear up any misunderstanding......
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Would imagine the tape over keyholes is to check whether anyone's been home or not. Perhaps someone not local spotted/heard the dogs and wasn't sure how long they're left outside. I'd call and see what they want, at least you'll spend less time worrying about what it could be about.
Is there no way someone can get home, even for 10 minutes, at lunchtime? It would be much better to keep the dogs safely secured indoors and let them out for a run/pee midday, dogs left outdoors unsupervised are at risk of dog theft, which seems to be on the rise lately
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Interested to know what the RSPCA have to say about this....
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 06:12 PM
id call them, once they have seen the dogs, the area that they are in during the day and at night, it should clear up any misunderstanding, as fudgeley said the sellotape over the locks is to see if anyone is going back to see and care for the dogs, it may be something so stupid as your neighbours dont like the fact that you keep your dogs outside during the day, but its best to call and find out for yourself, it will look far better for you in the long run as a caring owner to call them straight away, rather than leaving it, please keep us updated xx
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, i called the RSPCA as soon as i had checked that the dogs were ok, priorities and all that
No-one can get home at lunchtime as we both work over 45 mins drive away (in one direction).
I am installing a camera to cover the rear of the property, and i am raising the walls (already 6ft high) to approx 7/8ft, and will be installing a decent gate as soon as i get the time.
I am not sure that dog theft would be an easy task with these guys as other than the teeny tiny old lady that tells Missy she's silly and Crush she's boisterous, they think of people (when they're in the back garden) as pure enemies, can be quite unnerving.
I'm tempted to start knocking on doors, i'm so wound up that someone felt the need to stick their nose into something that given 30 seconds of objective observation can quite obviously be seen as two dogs outside doing what dogs do for 8 hours when left alone.
I asked the call centre RSPCA person to try to enlighten me as to what the basis of the situation was and he said he had no idea and that he would call the representing Inspector immediately to say that contact has been made.
He did say that it would be possible that the Inspector may not be on shift this evening and that i could expect some direct communication over the next 48 hours.
I'm so intruiged...can't wait for the speil. It's such a shame that the data protection act allows for anonymity in situations like this!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I would ring ASAP too.
How did they get in to leave a piece of paper on your table??
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2010, 06:24 PM
...and i will pmsl so hard if it has anything remotely vaguely associated to Missy being an SBT...
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
I would ring ASAP too.
How did they get in to leave a piece of paper on your table??
Table........?
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »