Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katz14
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2009, 11:35 PM

What a Breeder

Hi all
I have completely went of recognised breeders big time.... I had my name on a breeders list ....looking for a blue cream sable GSD ... contacted a certain breeder was told one of her bitches would be in season soon .... and would possibly have that colour that was in June waited waited waited the bitch failed to come into season ... I decided in September to look elsewhere and place my name on several breeders lists with similar colourings in the breed which I required .... low and behold after waiting nearly 4 months the bitch in question (no not talking about the breeder that would be to good for her) came into season I contacted the breeder via email congratulating her in the success of the breeding as I was excited to get my puppu but to my dismay I was I was informed that because I placed myself on another breeders list my name had now been withdrawen from the her list ... one of the breeders which I had contacted and this breeeder were friends and therefore the first breeder totally took this to be an insult ... although I received no contact from her within this two weeks as to whether I wanted my name disregarded... outcome ... reputable breeders will never go there again ... so ... sooooo ....soooo petty if that is how they opperate then I would gladly go to the small time breeder as long as all health checks have been done....Did not know that when entering ones name onto a breeders list for a pup that you were commiting yourself entirely to them and were not allowed to look around other breeders......so so so dissappointed about this as I could have looked earlier.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 01:02 AM
Of course you would contact other breeders!! There was no guarantee the bitch would have the colouring you wanted, so to my mind you would keep your options open IMO.
In my experience when I wanted a puppy and certain breeders didn't have one or a litter due they would recommend another breeder!!
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 02:29 AM
Just be extremely careful not sure who you contact and I dont want to know but certain breeders that are known for breeding this colour along with silver sables anfd blacks are breeding from lines that produce/carry epilepsy and dwarfism.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 09:20 AM
If I were a breeder I don't think I would have put you on my list if your sole requirement was colour!

But it is customary to let each breeder know you are placing your name on another breeders list
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by katz14 View Post
Hi all
I have completely went of recognised breeders big time.... I had my name on a breeders list ....looking for a blue cream sable GSD ... contacted a certain breeder was told one of her bitches would be in season soon .... and would possibly have that colour that was in June waited waited waited the bitch failed to come into season ... I decided in September to look elsewhere and place my name on several breeders lists with similar colourings in the breed which I required .... low and behold after waiting nearly 4 months the bitch in question (no not talking about the breeder that would be to good for her) came into season I contacted the breeder via email congratulating her in the success of the breeding as I was excited to get my puppu but to my dismay I was I was informed that because I placed myself on another breeders list my name had now been withdrawen from the her list ... one of the breeders which I had contacted and this breeeder were friends and therefore the first breeder totally took this to be an insult ... although I received no contact from her within this two weeks as to whether I wanted my name disregarded... outcome ... reputable breeders will never go there again ... so ... sooooo ....soooo petty if that is how they opperate then I would gladly go to the small time breeder as long as all health checks have been done....Did not know that when entering ones name onto a breeders list for a pup that you were commiting yourself entirely to them and were not allowed to look around other breeders......so so so dissappointed about this as I could have looked earlier.
I am really sorry, cant see where either breeder has done anything wrong.

You have gone to one breeder with a specific requirement.. the bitch missed, you went to another for the same thing.

Did you inform the first breeder, when the bitch missed that you wanted to stay on her list, but in the mean time would be looking else where??

Because that would then put you down at the bottom of her list, as how is she to know you will 1|) be serious 2) leave her with a puppy, if you find a better one else where??

Breeders in the same breed frequently communicate with each other... they will know who is expecting, and to be honest, if they get inquires they feel unhappy with , they will pass the information around.

So not sure why you consider these breeders unethical???

If you had informed the 1st that after the bitch missed you would be looking else where, and if by any chance her bitch does take, and you dont find a pup in the mean time, can you come back to her..... it is within her rights to them decide whether you will be a suitable home for one of her pups.

Breeding is a small world, when a possible buyer places their name on multiple lists , the word gets round, and it may look to the breeder that said buyer may not be as serious as they feel they should.........not saying you have done that, but its an insight for you to see how serious breeders are in placing their pups.

P.S..I dont think the first breeder was insulted you looked else where, probably more to the fact you placed multiple requests,on mulitple lists ... maybe she and other breeders felt you were wasting there time.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
Just be extremely careful not sure who you contact and I don't want to know but certain breeders that are known for breeding this colour along with silver sables anfd blacks are breeding from lines that produce/carry epilepsy and dwarfism.
How very true, no one should be breeding simply for colour or coat length, this type of breeder rarely bothers to breed responsibly

Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
If I were a breeder I don't think I would have put you on my list if your sole requirement was colour!

But it is customary to let each breeder know you are placing your name on another breeders list
Neither would I, wanted a split faced BC & was lucky enough to get Wu, but I would still have had a puppy irrespective of markings.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I am really sorry, cant see where either breeder has done anything wrong.

You have gone to one breeder with a specific requirement.. the bitch missed, you went to another for the same thing.

Did you inform the first breeder, when the bitch missed that you wanted to stay on her list, but in the mean time would be looking else where??

Because that would then put you down at the bottom of her list, as how is she to know you will 1|) be serious 2) leave her with a puppy, if you find a better one else where??

Breeders in the same breed frequently communicate with each other... they will know who is expecting, and to be honest, if they get inquires they feel unhappy with , they will pass the information around.

So not sure why you consider these breeders unethical???

If you had informed the 1st that after the bitch missed you would be looking else where, and if by any chance her bitch does take, and you don't find a pup in the mean time, can you come back to her..... it is within her rights to them decide whether you will be a suitable home for one of her pups.

Breeding is a small world, when a possible buyer places their name on multiple lists , the word gets round, and it may look to the breeder that said buyer may not be as serious as they feel they should.........not saying you have done that, but its an insight for you to see how serious breeders are in placing their pups.

P.S..I don't think the first breeder was insulted you looked else where, probably more to the fact you placed multiple requests,on multiple lists ... maybe she and other breeders felt you were wasting there time.
I would view someone who was on several breeder's lists without them telling each breeder with suspicion & a possible"puppy browser"
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 10:20 AM
I would choose and have chosen by colour. I have also refused a dog which was not the colour I wanted.

It wasn't my sole requirement but it was a big part of it.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I would choose and have chosen by colour. I have also refused a dog which was not the colour I wanted.

It wasn't my sole requirement but it was a big part of it.

rune
I have to agree on that one, I am a brindle girl, if I was looking for a puppy, I would be looking for a breeder how bred Brindle's............BUT thats not to say I woudl turn down another colour, its my preference, but not absolute
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have to agree on that one, I am a brindle girl, if I was looking for a puppy, I would be looking for a breeder how bred Brindle's............BUT that's not to say I would turn down another colour, its my preference, but not absolute
But the difference is brindle is a normal Boxer colour
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I would think the majority of people wanting a dog have a preference for colour/ coat etc.

I don't think this makes you less of a dog lover, or less worthy of someones pups?
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »