Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Tosh! Most of my family keep working terriers and lurchers, not a clicker in sight. Mind you, most of their training methods would not get the Dogsey seal of approval, yet their dogs are well trained, happy, healthy, obediant members of their family. Ditto for the relatives with working gundogs, all the ones I know are trained to a whistle..not a clicker.
I have little to do with gundogs but down south Sally Sanford with her tollers uses them and apparently she's done well in competitions, also I believe, (although am not sure) Helen somebody who has Vizslas.

People are understandably suspicious - but a pal of mine Willow, detailed on here a while ago how she used targetting to help her dog retrieve to the hand, and others in the gundog practice group were asking how she did it. So clicker method is useful sometimes

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:20 PM
deleted, a double post.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
First: The myth that CM got rid of his pack when he moved. Not true. The majority of the dogs in his pack belonged to various rescue groups around the CA and yes, while he was moving facilities, alternative foster settings had to be found for them......
It would be good if that is correct, do you mind me asking how you know?
I read he had put his dogs back into rescue, and this was from one of the workers at one of the rescues. It is possible someone got the wrong end of the stickrelating to that, if he really has kept them.

Wys
x
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It would be good if that is correct, do you mind me asking how you know?
I read he had put his dogs back into rescue, and this was from one of the workers at one of the rescues. It is possible someone got the wrong end of the stickrelating to that, if he really has kept them.

Wys
x
what difference does it make to the original topic
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
i remmeber watching that episode on the edge of my seat thinking the dog was gonna dissapear under 10 foot of combine tyre - not that it was being tortured by a low level shock from a collar.
It was enough to grab the dogs attention over the noise of industrial machinery and if it stopped it hurting itself then good.
Did he put the dog in that situation? to train it? I wanted to ask as I'm not clear and don't want to jump to conclusions :smt001 I haven't seen that episode.

Regarding chasing though, if a dog shows predatory aggression, then the owner has to be aware that a dog hardwired for that must have something else to focus on and chase. Just stopping a dog from doing something it has to do compromises welfare.

Wys
x
red collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Hiya, I think it refers to birdy type hunting
Wys
x
Ah, that explains it!

In the spirit of thoroughness I would be prepared to go forth armed with a clipboard and establish how many clickers per square foot there were at the next terrier or lurcher show. I think there are a few in the obedience trials though but not many people straddle the two camps of obedience and working.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
what difference does it make to the original topic
Ouch!
It would be good to know.

Wys
x
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
*picks self up off floor* Oh my we AGREE on something!!!
Was bound to happen eventually. Sorry, just had to say.

I'm just going to address a few things as others have already said most of what I was to say.

First: The myth that CM got rid of his pack when he moved. Not true. The majority of the dogs in his pack belonged to various rescue groups around the CA and yes, while he was moving facilities, alternative foster settings had to be found for them. HIS dogs, that belonged to him, stayed with him in his house or in kennels and are currently at his new facility along with a rapidly growing pack of newly balanced rescued dogs. This was a lie started by CM haters in the U.S. that has no basis in reality, as do many of thier slights on his character.

Also, to the idea that CM uses captive pack studies to fuel his understanding of dog behavior. Actually, if you've read his book, he actually built his foundation of dog/human pack behavior by observing rural Mexican ranchers and farmers and their dogs. This was what sold me on CM's theories. I lived two years in rural poverty areas of Mexico and spent a total of five years working there. I too spent many a long afternoon just watching these men and their dogs. Plain enough mutts they were, working stock like the finest purebreds trained for years by masters of the trade. There was an inate respect. That sound, that TSST sound, is a Mexican thing. They all use it. I can't tell you how many times I sat by a Mexican cookstove grinding corn and chatting with the woman of the house, to have our conversation interupted by a tsst as she shoos the pup out of the kitchen. Long ramble just to say, I too have seen the interactions and dynamics that Cesar describes in his book and uses as a foundation for his theories. They are domestic dog-human interactions, not wolf pack theory. And they work.

Off to post up some of my mexican dog pics in the gallery if anyone wants to see.

Gosh muttzrule... wonderful post!

I've seen very little of the guy but reading your interpretation, I can see why I had an instant respect for him and his methods.

Thanks for telling of your experiences.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
To be fair this is what happened in "Jackbox" 's opinion, not that of everyone who has seen it.
Fair comment, I accept we all see things differently. But, did he get the child to sit by the dog and get her to stroke it whilst it was obviously not happy?

Did anyone else see it? If so did you think that was what he did?

Wys
x
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
no he didnt put the dog in that situation - it was something the dog had started doing - the farmer drove the tractor to demonstrate what the dog did and it charged at the tyres as the farmer was driving along. It was An Aussie heeler if my memory serves me well and it was a working farm dog that the farmer wanted to have the run of the place and it was this one quirk he wanted to but couldnt eradicate, it was then that cesar suggested the e-collar which the farmer and his daughter said they had already tried. I think the point was they had already opted to use this as their only solution without stopping the dog doing its other activities and had attempted it before - I think Cesar brought the element of timing and correcting the dog as soon as it showed the first glimpses of reacting.
Closed Thread
Page 15 of 70 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 65 > Last »