Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2009, 05:24 AM

Renal Diet

About three weeks ago I started Moxie on Hills K/D for renal insufficiency on the advise of her vet. I know that the change in diet is necessary for her health, but I'm really noticing a change in her condition since switching foods. She is shedding a lot more, and she has gained about two pounds. Hills foods are subpar compared to what I was feeding her, whcih was high protein and grain free/ Raw. Now she can't have even half that amount of protein in her diet because its bad for her kidneys but I'm worried about her developing other complications from the poor diet.

I know this diet isn't meant to be fed for the long term, because most dogs in kidney failure don't live that long, but I plan on having Moxie around a few more years. Has anyone had experience with the prescription diets for kidney disease? Does anyone know of a home made diet I may be able to use that would still be low in Phosphorus?

I know its a longshot, but thanks.