Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks Zoundz

Malady - I know! When they've been in for castration at the vets I've seen them and couldn't believe it! Poor little chaps must know that they'd been stolen... they must have felt a lot lighter!
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post
Hate to contradict you malady - as we usually agree on most things however most of what you say isn't the case at all. Boys live very amicably together please feel free to visit my website and e-mail me if you'd like advice. I've been keeping rats since 1999 and breeding since 2006. I have some pics up on here.

Really there are many reasons to have rats as pets - but they can be very expensive, and do take a lot of space and attention if you've any questions just pm me!

xx
I dont keep them anymore and was just going on experience from having them years ago and having a pet shop and speaking to breeders etc I had them from 1990 to 2003
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Thanks Zoundz

Malady - I know! When they've been in for castration at the vets I've seen them and couldn't believe it! Poor little chaps must know that they'd been stolen... they must have felt a lot lighter!
I know, poor little beggars, they must miss their billies, you cant miss them
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Thanks Zoundz (and Iain!)

I would be looking for a responsible breeder as opposed to a pet shop. I just don't trust the pet shops with live animals. I'd far rather see the parents and relatives at a reputable breeder's and know that they've been handled from a young age.

Zoundz, what sort of expenses would you be looking at for keeping rats?
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

ah... well... dunno - but it's definitely not the case lol - boys get on very well in my experience and most others I speak to on a daily basis It's very rare indeed that they will fight to the death, occasionally there will be one that is disturbed enough to need castrating - buti really they don't need it. I've never needed a buck castrated Bucks are generally more laid back than does - so make much mroe cuddly pets. Does however are much more agile - and probably better to train too

xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:36 PM
Zoundz, I had heard that bucks are better for sitting on your shoulder etc...

I want to be able to train them but I also like the idea of carrying them around in my sweater like so many people I know
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:37 PM
costs... well - diet for my lot, including litters - comes to roughly £40 a month, bedding about £5/6 a month... then there' cages at roughly £100 each... toys etc... which need regular replacing.

With just a few pets, food should cost you very little really - about £10 a month I would think. Vet bills are your main worry - depends entirely on area- my vet is very very expensive... and charges, for example, £86 for a simple tooth burr that costs £9 at another vets (friend in somerset).

xx
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Zoundz, I had heard that bucks are better for sitting on your shoulder etc...

I want to be able to train them but I also like the idea of carrying them around in my sweater like so many people I know
i can do all this with both sexes personally- my does are very buck like generally and laid back depends where you go for rats. For a list of decent breeders e-mail breeders@nfrs.org - or go to the NFRS website and look at the breeder list there. Not everyone on there is good mind... but it's a start. Anyone who isn't on it would be one to beware of - in my opinion

xx
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:39 PM
I agree boys are much better to train, but I didnt mean fighting to the death, but more constant bullying, which seemed to be a common complaint that people came to me about.

I also strongly agree about not buying from pet shops. I've seen a rat eating it's young that it was giving birth to in a tank and the shop owner didnt even know it was pregnant, and boy did I have a few words to say to him !!!

I loved my rats, and had european hairless rats too, which are very funny, if not a little quirky
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks Zoundz...

I've just seen your ratty baby pics ... they're gorgeous! But there is NO WAY I'm having boys

I work for a vet who regularly treats rats and she treats my dogs (never had to treat my cats) so costs would be cut that way too

If I manage to persuade mum I'll be doing more research before I get them, and will be waiting until I know I have space when my room's redecorated so if my situation is not right, I won't have them. I may just have to invade my friend's pet shop and train his rats instead!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >