Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gallagher1200
New Member!
Female 

19-07-2011, 05:18 PM

Food For Your Dog

I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF ANY OF YOU USING CANNED DOG FOOD WOULD TELL ME WHAT BRAND YOU USE - AS MY VET HAS TOLD ME TO GET MY WESTIE OFF CESAR WHICH SHE LOVES, AND SHE NEEDS TO LOSE A BIT OF WEIGHT

THANK YOU
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 05:22 PM
I use dry food for mine but add a bit of wet food at each meal to liven it up a little.

The food I tend to use the majority of the time is NatureDiet. However, I'll also give them Butchers Tripe tins and occasionally Denes tins, Arden Grange tins and Natures Menu/Natures Harvest sachets.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Why don`t you just give him a little less? Even a spoonful less at each meal will gradually have an effect.
ttaylor45
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I use tinned natures menu as I think it is a very good food and I have two poodles one of whom is very fussy and find he eats this better than any of the other decent wet foods.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I feed raw or home cooked food but one of my dogs is having stomach problems so his breakfast food is butchers as it has no additives or grain added.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I use a wet food: Wainwrights Wet Trays, Duck & Rice, and Turkey & Rice.

Dexter is, so far, doing better on this than on any other food I have tried, up to and including raw.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Given the ingredients in Cesar, I'd recommending switching foods anyway
ngredients: sufficient water for processing, beef by-products, liver, meat by-products, beef, chicken, chicken by-products, calcium carbonate, added color, natural flavors, sodium tripolyphosphate, carrageenan, dried yam, xanthan gum, potassium chloride, salt, erythorbic acid, top sirloin flavor, guar gum, zinc sulfate, sodium nitrite (for color retention), vitamin A, D3 and E supplements, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1).

Lots of unnecessary ingredients in there. I'd go for a better quality wet food like Naturediet or Nature's Menu. Cutting down the quantity of food and increasing exercise is the best way to shift excess weight from a dog. If you find the lower quantity of food leaves the dog hungry and begging for more all day, you can try bulking it out with vegetables to fill the dog up without adding tons of extra calories.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 06:02 PM
I use Butchers Tripe
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by gallagher1200 View Post
I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF ANY OF YOU USING CANNED DOG FOOD WOULD TELL ME WHAT BRAND YOU USE - AS MY VET HAS TOLD ME TO GET MY WESTIE OFF CESAR WHICH SHE LOVES, AND SHE NEEDS TO LOSE A BIT OF WEIGHT

THANK YOU

Cesar is not a particularly great dog food, why not look at Natures Menu (300g packs) or Natures Harvest?

These are better quality foods and can be refrigerated once opened so not to waste any for a small dog.

Halve your current quantities and increase exercise, the weight will come off, same as us, we do not need special diet foods just to eat less!
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-07-2011, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't go straight to half the current amount- the poor dog will feel as though it's being starved. I'd reduce food slowly and gently increase the exercise, as if she is overweight she probably isn't very fit at the moment.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >