Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Taffsmum View Post
We live in the centre of town in a small old terrace house with only a small backyard but we still get through about a 13kg bag of Sunflower Hearts every 3 weeks. Its mainly Goldfinches that eat them. the stuff that falls out of the 3 feeders (Which get filled every day) we get Pigeons, Doves, Robins, Blue & Great Tits. Blackbirds. Quite a selection for such a small yard.
Sounds lovely.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Mine have been getting soft foods at the moment, grapes, sultanas and raisins coz I have lots of blackbirds who are very busy feeding their young so I'm hoping this kind of food will be useful.

I stopped feeding the live mealworms coz I had so many birds out there, a sparrowhawk zoomed along the hedge at 90mph and took one of my blackbirds out, it upset me so much, I stopped attracting them with the food, but started again this spring coz of the dry weather.

I use sunflower hearts up at the van coz I know the little birdies up there love them, but I'm only feeding the blackbirds here for the time being.

I stopped feeding the fat balls, when I noticed I was having to put a new one out each day, coz I then saw the reason why......rats! I thought we're not supposed to be feeding the fat at this time of the year due to the young fledglings though? Could be wrong, but I'm sure there's a reason we shouldn't have the fat out at the moment?
I'm not sure about the fat balls, I hadn't heard that before, I'll try and find out - don't want to make any of them poorly
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 07:08 PM
We have stopped feeding the birds because Pepsi the hoover eats whatever is spilt on the floor and with her dodgy tum we can'y afford to let that happen

A local wildlife expert here reckons birds will only feed their young what it is safe for them to eat, Mum knows best, so there is no need to restrict what you put out for them.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Well it seems I am wrong after Googling, but a bird loving friend of mine told me years ago not to put the fat out in the summer, she's on the Springwatch website so maybe she picked it up on there?

Anyhoo, what I did learn is, they love dog food, so tomorrow when I open a tin, the birds can have some too!
I saw a little mousey last night running out from under the hedge for some grapes, but I won't tell Dave coz they get into his workshop! If I see a rat, I'm stopping again though coz living out here in the countryside, you just can't odds it leaving food out there overnight.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 07:53 PM
I do not feed the birds.
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-07-2011, 06:05 PM
A lot! Get through tonnes of the stuff, and there's definitely no squirrels etc.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the links. No cheaper though. xxxxx
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
We have stopped feeding the birds because Pepsi the hoover eats whatever is spilt on the floor and with her dodgy tum we can'y afford to let that happen
I can relate to that The first summer we moved into our house we started feeding the birds, we were hanging fat balls in the netting in the trees for the birds. I hung a couple up one day and a few moments later I went past, the fat ball was no longer in the tree but Max was stood there with his eyes a bit watery, like he was going to be sick Cue a phone call to the vets to say I was sure he had eaten it, but more worryingly, the netting as well. The vets advised me just to keep a close eye on him. I know that he had the fat ball because his next poop was full of seeds I have no idea what happened to the net, I guess it just disintegrated over time as 6 years later there is still no sign of it...
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2