Our sister sites
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Dog just started howling

Hello All,

Hope you can help me out.

We got our new pup Elsie just over a month ago and all was going well with Barney out current dog (5 yr old rescue been with us for 2 yrs now) getting along.

So going home from work last Friday and just before I got to the house I could hear a dog howling. And when i looked at my house there was Barney sitting at the window head back howling away to himself, once he had seen me he stopped and came to meet me at the door.

This has now happened on a few more occasions. The situation is different each time.

- OH sleeping during the day when he is on nights with Barney and Elsie crated downstairs - Barney's not crated.
- Barney in house himself when I have Elsie at puppy class OH sleeping again
- curtains open or closed makes no difference

I don't think he has ever done this before as the girl next door moans about everything and I'm sure I would of had a note thru the door if it had.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Howling can just be calling, you know. It isn`t necessarily a sign of distress.
A friend used to pick up me and my mob and as soon as my dogs joined hers they`d all have a jolly good howl. To call new recruits or just for fun? - no idea!