Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Getting up in the night

HI everyone, We have an eleven month old dog who has been sleeping through the night for a long time now. When he was very young we did get up during the night to take him outside. He always slept in our bedroom but we've recently moved his bed onto the landing just outside our bedroom door.He was fine to start with but this last week he has been up every night, he runs downstairs and whines to go out. He is going to the loo when we let him outside so it's not just cos he feels like a run around the garden. He has a good walk twice a day, morning and evening and is always let out just before we go to bed. I really don't want this to turn into a habit but I think it is. Do I bring him back into our room or leave him on the landing? I daren't just refuse to let him out because he pees or poos everytime. Help please.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Is he peeing more frequently during the day too? I would rule out a UTI first.

Otherwise it could just be that the change in routine has thrown him off a bit. I'm guessing he was contained to your bedroom before (door shut, stairgate?)...it could be that he is using his new freedom on the landing just because he can. Attention seeking in other words.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi Sarah I would take your dog out (rather than just letting him out) as late as possible for a short walk preferably to an area frequented by other dogs, this will stimulate him to eliminate so you can be sure he is empty when you go to bed. Take some tip bits with you and when he goes reward with a treat and lots of praise so he gets used to going last thing and it is rewarded.

Try this and see how you get on.

Also how many meals are you feeding and at what time.
Bandi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Hi, he's not peeing more during the day than normal so don't think it's a health problem and even when he goes out last thing at night he'll do a poo so we think we'll be ok but no, he still manages to go again in the night! He has two meals a day, 8:00am and 5:00pm. Nothing has changed there. We've been really lucky with his house training and he's never gone in the house since we got him at 10 weeks old. We leave the bedroom door open so he could still come in to us and when he did sleep in the same room the door was left open and on the rare nights he got up he just went downstairs and waited at the bottom whining softly as he does now. Do you think he might just settle down? Or is there some way to nip it in the bud?