Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

12-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I suppose some people could get a little p*ssed off the way my dogs bark when they walk past the 6ft fence, but then it soon stops when they've passed and they're quite safe,
This is what annoys me about the non dog owning people. they are quite happy to inflict their bongo bongo music on all their neighbours 'till late at night but they don't want a dog to bark All your two are doing is notifying you (Their leader) that there are strangers about. It's just like having an elaborate security sytem which they (The dozy humans) would likely not object too would they

Anyway, enough ranting from me, I hope and trust that where you live H there wouldn't be anyone chucking poisoned meat over the fence just for spite.

Our two have just gone out to bark their heads off at something, all the weekenders have now departed for the winter (With luck we won't see them 'till Spring) so Bara and Rianna can bark all night as far as I'm concerned
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-11-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
This is what annoys me about the non dog owning people. they are quite happy to inflict their bongo bongo music on all their neighbours 'till late at night but they don't want a dog to bark All your two are doing is notifying you (Their leader) that there are strangers about. It's just like having an elaborate security sytem which they (The dozy humans) would likely not object too would they

Anyway, enough ranting from me, I hope and trust that where you live H there wouldn't be anyone chucking poisoned meat over the fence just for spite.

Our two have just gone out to bark their heads off at something, all the weekenders have now departed for the winter (With luck we won't see them 'till Spring) so Bara and Rianna can bark all night as far as I'm concerned
And allow there children to scream and shout early in the morning and late in the evenings, but when a dog barks for a few minutes all hell is let loose.

Must say we are quite fortunate where we live but some people have dreadful encounters over these problems.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh H! That poor man, he must be devastated, 3 years old is no age to lose a dog. I can understand why you are so worried, it does sound sinister and I would do the same as you, avoid the area for awhile.
Where I used to work, at the cattery, they lost their GSD after it ate rat poison that the neighbour threw over the fence!
Love and hugs to Zena and of course Georgie, for the sheer fun of it!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Oh H that is so terribly sad, and to all those who have lost dogs in similar circumstances. Ever since Ben was a pup he has been like a hoover so we taught him "DIRTY" and he will immediately drop whatever he is eating.
he will still look at it but will drop it like a hot potato (no pun intended) I was so worried about people putting down poisoned stuff near my mums.
Ben still has no emergency stop command which would be really useful , but his "dirty" has saved him from eating old chicken carcasses in the park ( a local resident puts them down for foxes )
So glad Zena is back to normal give her an extra big hug from us xxx
Oh we have that on another dog walk I do The problem we had was, somebody else, was then putting poison down to kill the foxes that this lady was feeding, so I don't walk there anymore needless to say! Zena isn't a scavenger, I'm very lucky there, she turns her nose up at half eaten dead rabbits etc. she will always "leave it", BUT, if somebody laced a nice, juicy bit of steak and threw it over my fence, then of course she's going to eat it! Thanks for her hug Lynne, she's fine now, maybe I've been very lucky though!xxx

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Pleased to hear Zena is back to her old self.

So sad about the other dogs, we once had a cat many years ago that got hold of rat poison. I worry about Ollie he is such a scavenger and he has normally swallowed something n seconds before you can get your hand down his throat to retrieve it.

Someone was asking me the other week if he had been ill since walking in our usual place as her retrievers have been sick several times in the past couple of months. Ollie has been ok bit of sickness here and there but nothing too worrying. Does get you thinking though doesn't it ?
I'm going to do the same as that lady Lynn, I'm going to ask around too. At least being aware means you stand half a chance. It's always at this time of year that I hear things like this, and wonder why that is?! xxxx

Originally Posted by Losos View Post

It's people with dogs that they bark at though H, they don't bark if it's just people, BUT, remember my ongoing dispute with the council and the licencing officer regarding that noisy restaurant/pub over the road??Well, I did a letter of objection when they last applied about a year ago for their licence, it turned out they didn't even HAVE a music licence I got them right in the s*ite, and although I withdrew my objection on the promiso that they would stick rigidly to the terms of said licence, of course, a year has passed, they could well be taking their revenge!!! You just never know do you, that's why Dave always says "stay out of it" he fears for the dogs, but I just can't do that, I have to stand up for my rights as yer know! Lol! I did actually put in one of my e-mails to the licencing officer, that if anything happens to our house, our dogs or us, then they know where to look!!!

I might take a visit to Pubs you Like or Beer in the Evenings and tell them about the rubbish meal my friends had in their the other night If they want war, I'll give it to them don't you worry!!!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 08:52 AM
That's the problem with poisoned bait - it is usually something very tasty to eat to tempt the animal it is aimed at into taking it I was devastated when it happened to Rebel - he was the first GSD Sid and I got together as a couple. He was a beautiful boy and only 6months old when we lost him.

With regards to barking, I can handle a dog giving voice as a warning, but it does my head in hearing yapping and barking all day long. I recently had to say something to one of my neighbours because they leave their dogs out all day long and they bark at EVERYTHING and it is all day long, drives you insane hearing them.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Some terribly sad stories
Glad Zena is ok!
I've been considering muzzling my dogs when they're off lead in the woods to stop them eating anything. Might sound a bit extreme but even those sticky plant burr's can cause awful problems if eaten as we found out a few weeks ago!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
That's the problem with poisoned bait - it is usually something very tasty to eat to tempt the animal it is aimed at into taking it I was devastated when it happened to Rebel - he was the first GSD Sid and I got together as a couple. He was a beautiful boy and only 6months old when we lost him.

With regards to barking, I can handle a dog giving voice as a warning, but it does my head in hearing yapping and barking all day long. I recently had to say something to one of my neighbours because they leave their dogs out all day long and they bark at EVERYTHING and it is all day long, drives you insane hearing them.
I just couldn't have imagined that AM

Yes, we have two westies that bark all day long in the summer, drive's you nuts! I did speak to my neighbour about mine barking at dogs walking past, but he said mine are different, they bark, then they stop, plus he understands it's in their nature being gsd's. The people up the close behind me actually LIKE mine barking sometimes out the back because they feel they are being warned of people going up there!

Originally Posted by bint View Post
Some terribly sad stories
Glad Zena is ok!
I've been considering muzzling my dogs when they're off lead in the woods to stop them eating anything. Might sound a bit extreme but even those sticky plant burr's can cause awful problems if eaten as we found out a few weeks ago!
Thanks bint, and I didn't know that about those sticky, thick burrs! Something to bear in mind, because although I usually get them off with a comb when we get home, sometimes I miss one and she might just have tried to nibble it out! Maybe that's what happened here, there's so many about where I take her.
Page 10 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10