Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Privacy???

Earlier on,i installed Norton 2005 internet security on my laptop and removed the freebie Norton i got with it (had a time limit) first,but...

When it came to registering-it already knew my name,address,email address etc and cannot work out how.

Have Norton or Symantec extracted my IP address and matched it from their records or something else??? Im not too worried,but just wondered how easy it would be for others to find out my details.This Norton has its own firewall which is (allegidly) better than the one supplied with XP and recomended me to use theirs.

Everythings working fine and no virus threats were found after doing a scan by the way!
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2005, 06:14 PM
It's better you don't know Steve

Graemeb
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme
It's better you don't know Steve

Graemeb
Thats what worries me!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 06:39 PM
My free Norton runs out in November and I have got another one to put on when it does. So it knows your name and address - that is a bit weird isn't it On the free one you don't put your name and address in do you so I wonder where it has got that from
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
My free Norton runs out in November and I have got another one to put on when it does. So it knows your name and address - that is a bit weird isn't it On the free one you don't put your name and address in do you so I wonder where it has got that from
Weird thing is Foxy-i registered the freebie one which came with this laptop even though it was only valid for 3 months and completely removed it before installing the new one.

It must have recognised my IP address because no one else would have my details. :smt017
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2005, 07:21 PM
you might be surprised how many programe register your IP address
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2005, 07:25 PM
When you uninstalled the free one it'll have left your details in the registry (where all your settings etc are saved)

So when you installed the full version it'll just use those settings/details again It's a method of preventing you installing the free one after 3 months

Graeme
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme
When you uninstalled the free one it'll have left your details in the registry (where all your settings etc are saved)

So when you installed the full version it'll just use those settings/details again It's a method of preventing you installing the free one after 3 months

Graeme

And that would be why it didnt work when i uninstalled the freebie,then reloaded it-hoping to get another 3 months free!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
And that would be why it didnt work when i uninstalled the freebie,then reloaded it-hoping to get another 3 months free!

Norty Steve
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Norty Steve

Cant blame me for trying!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >