Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Search Dogs & Me

Have just started reading this book by Neil Powell ... and am really enjoying it and would recommend

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Dogs-...pr_product_top

'In 1972, when I first began to discover the delights of the mountains and then became involved with search and rescue, I found that I could combine my love of dogs with this new passion for the great outdoors. Search Dogs & Me charts the journey which has taken me and my dogs from Donegal, Kerry, the Lake District and the Mountains of Mourne to Kashmir, Turkey and Algeria.' Neil Powell Search Dogs & Me tells the remarkable story of one man's adventures with his life-saving dogs. For the past forty years, Neil Powell has worked with dogs, in mountain search and rescue, drowned victim recovery, collapsed structure searching, and optical disc and drug detection. Neil and his dogs have participated in countless searches - often in life-threatening situations - and saved many lives in Ireland, the United Kingdom and throughout the world. But these are not just heroic working dogs, they are much-loved family pets, and they form the heart of the story. We come to know their personalities and quirks, and share in Neil's heartbreak when they reach the end of their days. Search Dogs & Me is a heartwarming, inspiring and beautifully told story that will melt - and break - the hearts of dog lovers everywhere.

About the Author
NEIL POWELL is originally from Cork but now lives near Newcastle, County Down, in the foothills of the Mourne Mountains, with his wife and eight dogs. In the early 1970s he trained Ireland's first mountain rescue dog, and since then has gone on to train drowned victim recovery dogs, collapsed structure search dogs and is a founder member of British International Rescue Dogs team. Neil's dogs have been the recipients of awards for animal gallantry and devotion to duty.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 09:50 PM
You just had to post that didn't you and I just had to go and buy it

In revenge have you read this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Search-Dog-...0356903&sr=8-5

Also has a sequel Sam and Co both a nice easy read
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Haha - I already own both Angela Locke's books - so no revenge there LOL

You won't regret buying Neil Powell's book ... it is both moving, exciting and riveting. There is a bit too much swearing for my particular liking, but I can overlook it because he sounds like such a nice guy and clearly adores his dogs.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Haha - I already own both Angela Locke's books - so no revenge there LOL
Blast!! Will let you know how I get on with it
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Blast!! Will let you know how I get on with it
I am about halfway through now and am really enjoying it. The author manages to inject plenty of humour into what can often be harrowing situations. The swearing hasn't abated but, as I said, I can forgive him as he is obviously such a nice man