Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Think on when training your dog

You know all those times when we are training our dog/s something and we feel we are failing

well today we met a guy who has rented the woods near our fields for hunting, feeling smart on talking to him I'm saying ''yes I have 5 dogs etc etc'' and telling him how they are fairly well trained............when he announced Yes I have trained dogs all 25 of them trained for hunting

Cockers, Springers and Retrievers.........have to say I was in awe that he has trained so well (one man and his 25 dogs)

everyone was really friendly.

mental note to oneself......5 dogs should be a doddle to train
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 05:24 AM
Wow, that's impressive, but, if he does this regularly, 25 shouldn't phase him any more than 5 phases us (well, me, actually). Tassle has many dogs and I'm pretty sure they're all very well trained, but Tassle is a brilliant trainer........

Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Wow thats fab! I only have the 3 & am kinda struggling to remember which one am supposed to be doing what with...maybe I should start writing little post it notes

Bev x
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:53 AM
Didnt you just want to punch him No really though amazing, must be quite something to see him out walking with them. I didnt think you were alowed to use dogs for hunting in the UK now?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Wow, that's impressive, but, if he does this regularly, 25 shouldn't phase him any more than 5 phases us (well, me, actually). Tassle has many dogs and I'm pretty sure they're all very well trained, but Tassle is a brilliant trainer........

Im sure Tassle is Im in awe of her too got me how he remembered the names when there was so many so identical
Originally Posted by Rubster View Post
Wow thats fab! I only have the 3 & am kinda struggling to remember which one am supposed to be doing what with...maybe I should start writing little post it notes

Bev x
Yea I get tongue tied with my 5....makes me laugh when Im stuttering ..errr Re...errrr Bru,,,,Tess leave it
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
Didnt you just want to punch him No really though amazing, must be quite something to see him out walking with them. I didnt think you were alowed to use dogs for hunting in the UK now?
They fetch the bodies back after they are shot on the hunt....ie the pheasants or rabbits or whatever............good outcome he took my mob number and said he will happily supply me with a brace or two whenever I want them
I loved the 'silent whistle' commands ..fabulous to see them rsponding and they looked such happy dogs doing what they were bred for
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I must tell my friend about him coz she's been training her flatcoat for 2 years now and thinks she's done well!!

I sometimes meet a man with 12 black labs and to see him working them is quite something, and he always moves out of the way for us, to let us pass with them all sitting there under his complete control, it's fantastic to watch. I remember when Zena was only a few weeks old and they were training, running around, shooting past us, and it gave me a good opportunity for teaching her the watch me and leaving them (instead of chasing them!), which she did very well, and I only did it to show off in front of him lol, I hope he was suitably impressed!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Im sure Tassle is Im in awe of her too got me how he remembered the names when there was so many so identical

Yea I get tongue tied with my 5....makes me laugh when Im stuttering ..errr Re...errrr Bru,,,,Tess leave it

They fetch the bodies back after they are shot on the hunt....ie the pheasants or rabbits or whatever............good outcome he took my mob number and said he will happily supply me with a brace or two whenever I want them
I loved the 'silent whistle' commands ..fabulous to see them rsponding and they looked such happy dogs doing what they were bred for
at least they are all dogs though!! I sometimes call the cat Loui and of course that is no good cos the cats still paying no attention walking over my paperwork and the dog hears his name and comes trotting over then the cat goes mental howling...
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I must tell my friend about him coz she's been training her flatcoat for 2 years now and thinks she's done well!!

I sometimes meet a man with 12 black labs and to see him working them is quite something, and he always moves out of the way for us, to let us pass with them all sitting there under his complete control, it's fantastic to watch. I remember when Zena was only a few weeks old and they were training, running around, shooting past us, and it gave me a good opportunity for teaching her the watch me and leaving them (instead of chasing them!), which she did very well, and I only did it to show off in front of him lol, I hope he was suitably impressed!!
I am sure he was!!

What is it about gun dog training and their perfect dogs eh? There's one here too (although only three dogs) and the most impeccable behaviour and devotion and still so happy.

Perhaps as they are able to use their 'breed instincts'?

but 25, wow...
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post

- Shhhhhh - I only have 5!

...and bless you! I am a tad worried about you meeting my dogs now if you think they are well trained....maybe this in not a good idea!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Be interesting to know where his dogs live---bet it isn't in the house. It is a bit easier to train when the dogs see you as their only real resource.

Just saying.........

rune
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2011, 08:02 PM
....and following on from what Rune said above, did you ask him how they have been trained? E-collars are used by gundog people quite a lot.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >