Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 09:08 PM

Agility with a springer??

Hi all,
Thinking of doing agility with fen,the other two are heading into the show world and i thought this would be great for fen.
Has anybody done this with a springer,he's pretty obedient and has excellent recall,but i haven't got a clue where to start,can anybody point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I would have thought a springer would be quite good at agility. You need to find yourself a club to start. Apart from that I can't help you as I'm on a waiting list for agility!
Becky
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 12:57 AM
There are lots of Springers on the agility circuit and very good they are too
I`ve had some as students over the years as well as other type of Spaniels. Springers are particularly well suited in terms of general build, ability to turn on a sixpence, confidence with the equipment and very willing to learn new things.

For some the hardest part initially is persuading them to unglue their noses from the ground :smt101 but once they realise how much fun agility can be that often solves itself. Once they get in to it they are often exceptionally focussed, to the same level that they may previously have been scent obsessed.
All those I have had teaching experience with so far over the years have been absolute delights
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 06:27 AM
hi, i'm starting agility with my springer in February, and i know that there are alot of people on Spring thing that do agility with there's will let you know how i get on
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I do agility with my springer Pippa. It's great fun and we are both thoroughly enjoying it.

Helen
Viola
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2007, 04:02 PM
i train my dog... for fun, in 2 years a had only 1 competition... elminated!!!!! But if you would take your springer in a national championship... the springer is in a MEDIUM class... with Belgium Sheperd, border collie and many others taller breed then yours... this is the real problem!!!! Also your dog is the faster, the speeder they are however taller and so !speeder!!
Anyway, before comp. you 'll have so much fun with your dog!!!!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 06:06 PM
i competed my collies - they are retired now cos they are 9 and 10 - with arthritus

i cant remember - how old id it before they can start training??? is it 18 months?? or is that to compete???
Viola
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
i competed my collies - they are retired now cos they are 9 and 10 - with arthritus

i cant remember - how old id it before they can start training??? is it 18 months?? or is that to compete???
In my club they start when dog has a little bit of obidience, stay, recall, come more or less 12-18 month because the legs are complete