View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Aww, I think I prefer dobes with tails...

I don't think they're particularly thin and skinny Whip-like though - like dals!

Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:42 AM
He's lovely Lottie
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Trixy
He's lovely Lottie
I thought so too! Just googled it and it came up!
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by Dee1974
Found this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/4807372.stm
After reading this link, and the first paragraph:
MPs have voted to ban the docking of dogs' tails - but with an exemption for working dogs, such as those used by the police, Army or rescue services.

Does this mean that GSD's, Malanois, Golden Retreivers, Beagles (I could go on)....will now be getting their tails docked also? All those breeds are used for these services and seem to do their job very well with all their body parts intact. What makes Dobies, Rotts etc more at risk to damage their tails?

Dont take this the wrong way, I do understand the thought behind it, Ive been a part of surgical procedures to remove tails on dogs, mostly hunting dogs (sports) that with going through a lot of dense 'brush' have damaged their tails and they are not the easiest wounds to have heal up, they bleed a lot and it doesnt take much to re-open even sutured wounds because of the 'wagging effect', the sometimes rapid movement itself or banging it into things often causes further damage.

I had a Rottwieller, her tail was already docked when I got her, I will admit that she looked good without it, I like the way they look without, Dobies too, I dont have her any more but I have every intention of getting another Rott at some point. As much as I do like the look though I'd prefer the next one has its tail, my preference in the way a dog looks isnt a good enough reason to amputate a dogs body part. If youve ever been the one to hold a 2 or 3 day old puppy down while someone cuts its tail off....you never really forget the screams. That said, Ive never seen any evidence that docking causes spinal injuries, (or not docking causing spinal injuries), or that the dog remembers it, I go by say...a dog that has a bad ear infection or torn nail, even long after they have recovered from the problem theyre usually never quite the same afterwards if you go near the ears or nails.

Im just a little disheartened about this, I thought tail docking had already been banned in UK a few years back. In California they are still docking tails, doesnt have to be a breeder or vet, a breeder can have anyone do it, theyre still cropping ears, if they cant afford a vet to do some will just take a good pair of scissors and hack the ears off themselves, mostly with Pit Bulls although I do remember a Miniature Schnauzer that had 'apparantly' struggled when the owner thought he'd give it a go at home, no anaesthetic, the dog ended up with virtually no ear on one side....theyre also still declawing cats.
I did manage to stop one vet from cropping ears though, took me 2 years of basically harrassing him over it....he comes in one day after a management meeting and tells me "you'll be pleased to know that I am no longer cropping ears any more", I was pretty impressed with him as a fair percent of his work involved this procedure....he just had never really thought about the stress that some breeds in particular go through for what can be up to 4-6 months.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 09:55 AM
The Animal Welfare Bill was heard in the House of Commons and tail docking is expected to be banned for cosmetic reasons. The House of Lords will decide if working dogs will still be able to have their tails docked, but this will have to be proven and as is the case now only vets will be able to do this and will need a certificate of proof.

The Second Reading of the Bill in the House of Lords has been confirmed as being on Tuesday 18th April 2006.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Trixy
I think it should be left entirley to the breeders discretion
i agree
and i dont own a docked breed
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by juliekelham
i agree
and i dont own a docked breed
I also agree

What about the breeds such as mine (Weimaraner) who i'm planning to show and work, if I worked her and had her docked, I couldn't show her? If she passes her feild trials it makes all the difference between a CH and SH CH!

I think the owner/future owners should have the choice. I had the choice with Maddy, she was docked and dew claws done at 3 days old.

So what about dew claws, this hurts the pup whereas they dont seem to notice the docking at all. Will this also be banned?

Having witnessed a working dog split it's tail, (which had to be amputated after a year and it had STILL not healed) and a my own dog Charlie ripping out his dew claw, I think esp with working dogs it would be silly to ban docking, but if it ment you couldn't show a docked dog, a lot of people who want to show AND work their dogs would leave them intact, risking serious injury.

*forgot what else I was gonna say*
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Just think the government should concern themselves with more important things, like REAL animal cruelty
Charmergirl
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2006, 12:09 PM
I hope tail docking is banned. What's the point of it? I've heared many excuses for it e.g.-

'Spaniels can damage their tails when out on shoots if they're not docked' how come labradors, setters, pointers, retrievers etc aren't docked then?

'Thieves and attackers can't grab hold of doberman's tails whilst they are guarding' How come Alsations aren't docked then?

'It looks better' Errrrrrrrr, no it doesn't. We're used to it, that's all.

random - cutting off a puppy's tail is the equvalent in pain to cutting off a baby's little finger, how is that not 'real' animal cruelity? Do you really think that some isolated incidents with tails and dew claws warrents the removal of all dogs' tails and claws? Even show animals who are never going to work in their life? I've seen dogs get their legs messed up in barbed wire and traps - does that mean we should amputate puppies legs at birth and make them go around on motorised wheel chairs?
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

11-04-2006, 07:03 PM
I've had both docked and undocked breeds. I bred dobermanns, and had their tails docked, I had a good vet to do it (she bred Yorkshire Terriers,) and never once did any of the puppies even make the smallest squeak, they were back feeding from their mum in moments. Many breeders use 'banding' which is acceptable for lambs so why not for dogs. Incidentally many dogs with tails do damage them. believe me a damaged tail on any dog is a real problem to heal, The interesting point arises with regard to showing when it comes to those breeds that have naturally docked tails (this years best in show at Crufts for example) Some pups born with tails, some with half tails and some 'docked' who is going to be able to tell which is which in the show ring?

Kath.
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >