Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:52 PM

the saga of starvin marvin, northern inuit

you probably all know about freyas babies, but you wont know about my other litter, they were born on bonfire night to young bitch as the result of an accidental mating, purely my own fault for not realising just how resourceful, males can be when a bitch is in season, anyhow, tukki jumped the fence and i hoped that thy hadnt been together long enough for anything to happen, 5 weeks later however, i noticed she was putting on weight and realised that my worst nightmare had come true. so as i say, the puppies, 10 of them , were born on bonfirenight. poor girl was not prepared for such a big littr and didnt have a clue what to do with them. we eventually got them suckling, but she really wasnt keen. the puppies dropped like flies, i would get up in the morning and she had pushed them as far away as possible and they were very cold, 3 puppies survived, the biggest and healthiest, but again. i went in one morning and another was dead, and then again the next day, so i was down to 1 puppy. i decided to take him away as i think she was mauling them, wether unintentionally or not, i'll never know. she wasnt the least bit bothered to lose the last puppy and happily went back to join her kennel mates as if she had never given birth. let my story serve as a warning to others as i would hate any one else to go through this.

so i had to bottle feed a 5 day old puppy, he was nicknamed starvin marvin as he was forever hungry. after a few days, i noticed he had a lump in his tummy and thought it might be an umbilical hernia, but the vet said it was an infection in the umbilical tract which was still open as he was so young and we had to be careful it didnt get into his blood stream or he could die. so now hes on antibiotics and will be 3 weeks old on sunday. he's a little behind in development as he's been on a mix of whelpie and goats milk instead of mums. but he has a good appetite and is thriving so heres hoping he will survive. here are a few pics taken over the last 2 weeks of marvs progress.

the strange thing is, timber, my 5 year old bitch who has never had a litter and isnt too keen on puppies, has taken to licking and washing him and sits by his box constantly, i cant make up my mind if shes trying to mother him or taste him lol.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Oh he's darling!!!! I hope he pulls through too Sutty, he looks very happy and content, just look at his size incomparison to the bear
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 05:59 PM
oh he is gorgeous, i think i may have to nab him Sutty i have a soft spot for those pets with sad stories......
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Oh he is adorable! I really hope he makes it. I think he's a little fighter.
Sorry for what you had to go through, it must have been heartbreaking.

Good luck Marvin
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-11-2005, 06:29 PM
Way too cute
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 06:29 PM
He's adorable.

Many years ago I had a bitch that didn't like the idea of being mated but when another of my bitches had puppies she was a wonderful Aunt to them when mum had lost interest - washing and cuddling them so maybe yours is the same.

Good luck with him

Sue
Zeus
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Beautiful pics, so adorable what breed is Starvin Marvin (just curious)? love that name lol
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 08:01 PM
marv is a Northern Inuit, thanks everyone for your comments, ive just got back from the vets and the news is good, his tumm button infection is clearing up and he just has to keep on the antibiotics for a few days and all will be well.
SusanW
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Awww He is beautiful,,a little darling. I wish him all the best and hope he gets over the infection soon.
Are you going to keep him ?
annapaige
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2005, 09:30 PM
hes lovely!! sorry about other puppies must have been very upsetting. fingers crossed for little man
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »