Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 09:22 PM

' Passing wind '

Is it normal for dogs to 'pass wind' every half an hour?

I can't stand the smell of Georgie any longer

My CKCS hardly ever farts, but this 1 OMG !!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 09:34 PM
what have you been feeding him!!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Diet can make a big difference ........ try not to let him know how rude and unpleasant it is .... it may make him worse LOL
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Ok I hold my hands up...
He is a fussy eater and I do spoil him BUT he hasn't really eaten anything unusual today. He farts this much everyday. I can't stand it anymore. He's not long done it again and he looked up as if to say " surely THAT wasn't me "
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 09:48 PM
know how you feel altho Tilly very rearly passes wind. She's on a complete hypoalergenic food and it's great.

Try charcoal biscuits if you can find them, helps with the wind. My old staff, Jas only really passed wind after he'd eaten fresh veg and boy did he stink
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 09:48 PM
As a quick fix, get some charcoal biscuits (Bonios come in that variety) that will absorb the gas before it leaves the body. It was used (charcoal that is, not Bonios) in WW2 in gas masks for this purpose.
But find out the root cause. It is likely to be dietary, mine only do it when they have had rawhide chews so they don't get them too often A bland diet WITH NO TREATS such as fish or chicken with rice, or complete food equivalent, may cure the problem.
Do you change the food regularly or feed many different types of food ? That can upset the system too........
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 09:57 PM
I'll be honest here, I do feed him all different foods. He will not eat the same food day in day out. I have tried letting him go without but it gets to the point where he would rather go without than eat what I put down for him.

Today and yesterday he has had Pedigree Simply Meaty foil trays. Well by this evening he has decided he doesn't want it anymore, so no doubt it will be a different food tomorrow.

This farting is not just today, he does it everyday. Tonight he has had lasagne....but he did like it

**teenytiny runs away in corner to hide, before she gets shouted at for giving a dog LASAGNE **
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Wouldn't worry about the lasagne, my girls had left over mashed tattie mixed with baked beans, a sachet of wet dog food and a bio yoghurt each for their supper last night.
Don't think the beans made the wind any worse than usual!
But it always depends what they eat as to how much wind is produced, so guess that will be your answer.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:03 PM
He's got you very well trained to cater for him hasn't he. Dogs wont starve themselves to death you just need to hold out longer than he does!
Becky
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2006, 10:06 PM
Well, there's your problem, IMO!!!!
A dog can be persuaded to eat what YOU want it to eat, if you follow a few simple rules, like putting it down for 10 minutes and removing it after that time, with NOTHING GIVEN at all until next meal time, when you repeat the process. A dog that gets hungry and doesn't get snacks will soon get the idea.
Tinned or foil tray meats for dogs are sometimes very rich, consider a blander diet either a suitable complete or a less rich meat with mixer. I use "Brandy" cheap and cheerful, dogs love it, and also Chappie which has a higher cereal content and is less likely to upset the system.
As for feeding lasagne....... you only have yourself to blame lol.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >