Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Captswigbeard
New Member!
Male 

07-08-2016, 05:20 AM

Hey everyone new here...need your help!

Ok so here's my problem. I live in a back house / guest house with my girlfriend. Great place to live quiet and perfect. We both love animals dogs especially. So my landlord and her daughter live in the main house and got a cute little Maltese puppy. The daughter is about 20 years old and has a job and goes to school. For the first year the dog was inside with them all the time. Now they leave the dog outside in the backyard from 8 am till 10 pm every day somtimes even later on weekends. My girlfriend works and I'm currently unemployed. So I'm home all day. I leave our door a little open see she can come inside. This little dog has captured my heart. She plays and plays all day, which is what a 1 year old dog should do. But the dog is always coming in for a while and then just waits by the gate waiting for her to come home. Now the land lady is home pretty much all the day and never takes her in. You can tell she doesn't care about the dog. At night its even worse poor litle thing is up every 10 minutes going back and forth. And when the daughter gets home she doesn't even get her immediately, she goes inside for a while then get her. Its really starting to piss me off. Now here's my problem, we love where we live but we don't want any problems. So what do I do should I say something and hope she doesn't take it the wrong way or should I just stop taking care of the dog and mind my business. Thx for reading and please let me know what you think.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2016, 02:50 PM
That is a tough situation. It is hard to have a big heart and see such suffering. I don't know what to do but could you broach the subject with the landlady nicely? I do think it is cruel to the little dog as dogs crave companionship. Maybe offer to adopt the dog and see what happens? Like I said it is a tough situation. Good luck on what you decide.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Why are they the only two options? Why not carry on as you are now?
You could tell your landlady you disapprove of the way she keeps her dog and end up homeless.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2016, 08:26 PM
\you know in your heart already what is the right thing to do - otherwise you would not have posted what you have. Trouble is right, you need to go balls up and say what you think. Principles never do come cheap - but principles are principles and you need to live with your conscience. Confront your landlady politely about your feelings re the dog - if you end up homeless, there are other homes. But there is only one of that little dog.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2016, 08:40 PM
Personally, I'd approach the girl who I assume is the owner. I'd just say that the dog is very restless when outside and would she mind if you took her in while she is out at work or school.

It may turn out to be a blessing for the girl as well as the dog.

If ever your situation changes and you move home, you could always ask if you could take the dog with you as it would then be spending more time with you than her - always provided, of course, that you do want to take the dog in
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2016, 06:04 AM
I like your personality and the way you care for dog! If i'm in your position I will tell them about this and I will tell them that I wanted to adopt that dog. But don't say it frankly about what you really concern because we don't know what will happen if you tell them directly about the dog situation with their ownership. I will tell them on a easy way not to harm their pride as a owner of that poor dog. And if their not agree you don't have a choice about their decision. But I know you can tell about this to the local government to rescue that poor dog, they have no right to have a dog because they are irresponsible owner. They don't know what their responsibilities and they don't know about the feelings of dog tsk tsk.
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-08-2016, 12:01 AM
As I've always said there are people who love the idea of a dog and those who love dogs.
Sound like the current owner is the first and you are the 2nd.

I'd carry on as you are and slowly insert the idea, that if there tired of taking care of and the interaction needed for the dogs needs, that you would be happy to help in the matter.

Then once they see your interactions with the dog vs there bring up the matter of taking the dog off there hands in a polite manner.