Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:33 AM

Dutch needs rehoming - advice please.

Ok so i dont really know where to start.
I started working full time back in september and since then, gradually Dutch has started developing resource guarding issues.
At first i just made excuses for it but i cant ignore it anymore. Last night when i was out he bit my dad and drew blood. My dad is absolutly adamant that he has to go.
Im heartbroken, completely and utterly distraught and i know this is all my fault and it could have so easily been avoided but i made a mistake and now im pleading that someone out there can help me.
He is home alone all day now that i work and deep down i know that there is a better life out there for him, even if that is without me.
He loves people and other dogs and hes such a fantastic dog, minus the guarding issues.
ive pleaded for him to stay, ive looked into trainers and behavourists but he wont have it.
Please i need advice. im completely devastated.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Have you tried the Breed Rescue?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Are there any other problems he has? If its just this one thing I don't see that as a good enough reason to pass him on to someone else
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:41 AM
How about his breeder? He's still quite young and breeders should be taking back dogs if the owner cant keep them anymore. I'm sorry for you. It must be terrible to feel forced into giving him up.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Hello

What were the circumstances leading up to the bite?

Hopefully your dad may have calmed down a bit this morning.

If you want to keep Dutch, can you not get a behaviourist in ASAP? it won't be cheap, but a professionals opinion might make him see the situation in a different light. Resource guarding is in the vast majority of cases, a very workable issue.

Is Dutch from a reputable breeder? if so, they are your first port of call in the event your dad still refuses to help him. You might want to give them a call for advice anyway.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Are there any other problems he has? If its just this one thing I don't see that as a good enough reason to pass him on to someone else
I think it is the Dad who has made the decision and if he is not getting enough stimulation all day then maybe the dog needs a new environment, not all people will tolerate a dog biting them or anyone else for that matter, i wish you well in finding as new more suitable home and i hope in the future you are in a better position to have a dog, do not beat yourself up you quite simply have to work full time.
Maybe the breeder could help or as said the basset breed rescue, good luck anyway.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:53 AM
I'd say get a behaviourist in ASAP, ask your dad to be there and to listen to what they have to say.

If you do end up rehoming I would contact either his breeder or breed rescue.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Contact his breeder, they should take him back or help you rehome him. However, it IMO would be irresponsible to rehome an aggressive dog.
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi thanks for the quick replies.

I tried his breeder but was a complete waste of time, she has no interest and has recently rehomed her own dogs and moved.

Looked at basset hound rescue and have got a couple of numbers so they can hopefully help.

The absolute last thing i want is for Dutch to go, believe me this is not my decision in any shape or form.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Sounds like the person whose house it is has given him his marching orders.

That's a pretty immovable reason.

Good luck in your hunt for a new home.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »