Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
The only thing I have a problem with is that "stay" means to them, "stay until I come back to you" whereas Louie is trained (albeit needs some work) stay means stay until you are given the "OK" whether I am a few feet away or right next to him. I'm starting to think I trained him all wrong - but it's how Sadie and Benjie are trained and they've never got confused... So may have to work around that one with the trainers..if I decide to stay there.

I wouldnt worry too much, they are not going to force you to use certain words/commands for your dog- you use whatever command works for you.

I initially trained my gsd "stay" was until given the next command or release, I then changed it so that "wait" is until the next command, "stay" is until i return to her, and thats the way i have trained my collies, they all stay in the position i left them regardless of whether i say wait or stay, the only difference being that when i say "wait" they pay more attention to me for the next command and when they are in a "stay" they relax a little more.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Urm - I watched them
LOL - I should have realised that
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I wouldnt worry too much, they are not going to force you to use certain words/commands for your dog- you use whatever command works for you.

I initially trained my gsd "stay" was until given the next command or release, I then changed it so that "wait" is until the next command, "stay" is until i return to her, and thats the way i have trained my collies, they all stay in the position i left them regardless of whether i say wait or stay, the only difference being that when i say "wait" they pay more attention to me for the next command and when they are in a "stay" they relax a little more.
I suppose thats the difference. But at least with just the one - I should have more focus regardless of whether or not I am returning to them or asking for something else. In theory anyway.

Mish - they don't say you have to have half check or full check but they said they prefer for everyone to use half checks - for that clink noise..I suppose. But they are pretty relaxed - or they seemed relaxed and I did talk to a few dog owners before talking to the trainers - just to get a perspective on how they enjoyed it and what methods they use. The ones I talked to enjoyed it..a couple of working line springers and a few GSD puppy owners.

They did say that if they need a distraction they will use water or flick the dogs ears - well I can't do that but I make a noise or click my fingers to get Louie's focus - so won't have to use those techniques.

We'll have to see and I shall let you know how we get on.
Always Terriers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Hello, that was my mum you spoke to (who has the BC) she told me about you

I suppose I should say I don't actually join in with the classes with my dogs (I have done in the past) but I go sometimes to train by myself outside the training area.

When I have joined in my dogs have plain flat collars and they get loads of treat rewards - I use a clicker too. I train for obedience shows and if mine aren't rewarded very well when they get it right they'd soon switch off and lose the precision.

Don't worry, you don't have to use a half check and no one uses e-collars and the only punishments are as you say very stern voices and a tug on the lead (I don't really like this and it isn't to my style though I've done it before in extreme circumstances).
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Always Terriers View Post
Hello, that was my mum you spoke to (who has the BC) she told me about you

I suppose I should say I don't actually join in with the classes with my dogs (I have done in the past) but I go sometimes to train by myself outside the training area.

When I have joined in my dogs have plain flat collars and they get loads of treat rewards - I use a clicker too. I train for obedience shows and if mine aren't rewarded very well when they get it right they'd soon switch off and lose the precision.

Don't worry, you don't have to use a half check and no one uses e-collars and the only punishments are as you say very stern voices and a tug on the lead (I don't really like this and it isn't to my style though I've done it before in extreme circumstances).
Sheila's daughter?

Wow small world! It was a lot nicer than the class we went to before. And I only went once and saw all I wanted too.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
LOL - I should have realised that
A lot of GSD's including puppies and crosses and a couple DA and rescue dogs - I kinda expected it
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:23 PM
This would not be Sheila Hocken's class would it?
Always Terriers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Sheila's daughter?

Wow small world! It was a lot nicer than the class we went to before. And I only went once and saw all I wanted too.
Yes, that's me. I wasn't there that day, I was at a different club dog show.

I'd say it's worth going along and see if you enjoy it - if you do join, if you don't then find somewhere else.
Always Terriers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
No, it's not Smokeybear.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Didn't catch her last name - it's the one near Linby though - if you know it..
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >