register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Dog aggresive dogs on lead
Should be muzzled - end of 68 48.57%
Should have the choice to be unmuzzled 72 51.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi Julie - under control means the dog behaves as you choose it to behave. Say someone has a large dog who is really bad about pulling; gets out the door and goes down the street like an express train dragging poor owner behind them...the owner might partially be able to direct the dog but I wouldn't say that's a dog under control, though it has a lead on. Having your dog on the lead is definitely partial control and a responsible action but IMO it doesn't mean you can think 'well phew, I've done my bit never mind what happens now' (I'm not suggesting you do BTW! I'm sure you take good care as the others on here)
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by boredinstroud View Post
Hi Tupac - I'm not saying the owner of the off-lead dog is in the right - in the situation neither dog is under control and for practicality the aim should be to not allow the situation to arise. However I don't know how you can say a dog is under control if it is not behaving as you would like. Regardless of the situation. Take away either the off-lead dog running up or the aggression of the on-lead dog and you end up with a neutral situation. All owners need to behave as responsibly as possible and if someone can't stop their dog biting, even when it is leaded, an additional strategy which may or may not involve a muzzle is probably required.
But muzzled, the dog will still react in a way you do not really want it to so is it not still "out of control"?. Difference is that if the dog invading your dog's personal space takes offence to the reaction and reacts back, your dog can't defend itself.
If my dogs ran over to an on-lead unmuzzled dog that then had a pop at them, I would certainly blame myself because my dogs would have instigated it, whether their intentions were friendly or not.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi Tupac - I'm not saying the owner of the off-lead dog is in the right - in the situation neither dog is under control and for practicality the aim should be to not allow the situation to arise. However I don't know how you can say a dog is under control if it is not behaving as you would like. Regardless of the situation. Take away either the off-lead dog running up or the aggression of the on-lead dog and you end up with a neutral situation. All owners need to behave as responsibly as possible and if someone can't stop their dog biting, even when it is leaded, an additional strategy which may or may not involve a muzzle is probably required.
how is an onlead dog.. warning anotherdog not to come near and being ignored out of control?
if something is in my face and doesnt take sod of as an answer id push it further...thats not out of control the offlead dog is
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:03 PM
I suppose we are in danger of assuming a measure of common sense here.

For example I would not consider dogs at the end of an extending lead "under control" as they are too far away from their handlers to be so described....................
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:04 PM
under control means the dog behaves as you choose it to behave
If Rupert's muzzled and another dog gets in his face he's going to batter that dog with his muzzle and paws (and quite likely cause more damage doing so than he has done without a muzzle) so I guess he STILL wouldn't be under control as he STILL wouldn't be behaving as I choose him to behave. Where does this idea end? Even if I put a doggie version of a strait jacket on him he'd attempt to attack another dog if it got in his face so by your definition he STILL wouldn't be under control because that certainly isn't the way I'd choose for him to behave.
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi Krlyl - not suggesting a dog should necessarily be muzzled but could be part of the strategy

Hi Tupac - if your dog warns the other dog surely that is slightly different you have time to take action? Someone mentioned turning their dog away from the other dog, maybe you could hold the collar of the other dog? It doesn't sound like a case of the dog comes over and your dog attacks. There is a difference between warning, being grumpy and aggression isn't there? Anyhow, whatever, it doesn't negate the other owner's fault, I just happen to think that there is more to having control than sticking the dog on the lead. Lots of people on here have other strategies which seem to bear this point out.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Well, there are even MORE out of control dogs using this criteria then even I thought possible then!

I see owners with their dogs on leads that cannot control the dog's position, bladder, bowel, barking, jumping, whining, growling etc etc etc

All I have to do is put myself between my dog and the intruder, simple.

If you can't manage to do this then perhaps the dog should be replace by a goldfish?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I suppose we are in danger of assuming a measure of common sense here.

For example I would not consider dogs at the end of an extending lead "under control" as they are too far away from their handlers to be so described....................

true when i mean onlead.. i mean a normal lead and my dog by my side.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I can't agree - my leashed dog cannot get to another dog and is therefore under control, a dog approaching us and I shout a warning if the other owner cannot recall their dog it is clearly not under control, if they cannot recall it should not be off lead IMO.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Meg has bitten other dogs while onlead minding her own, and no I will not muzzle her.
She has every right to enjoy her walk the same as the next dog without been jumped on,charged at and been bitten.

She has bitten 4 dogs,all of them loose,two without an owner in sight,the two others were asked to recall and ignored our warnings,they put Meg into a situation she wasn't comfortable with and she bit them.
I do what I can and I will not take responsilbilty for some idiotic owner and there dog,Meg is onlead and does not approach other dogs,respect comes to mind,sadly lacking today.
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »