View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

30-10-2004, 01:29 AM

Dog Ghost

When I was a child we had a beloved dog that was a member of our family just as important as the all the official people members were. He was named Sergeant and was a beautiful large German Shepherd that we had gotten while I was only 2 and he was only about 8 weeks. So we grew up together. He was included in all facets of our family life. He was very protective gentle and loving. A great dog for kids. Sergeant was always allowed to run free as we often didn't live in a real urban area. He was very protective and no one approached us or our home uninvited. At night Sarge would sleep in the living room (the couch, he wouldn't lay there during the day because he knew he wasn't supposed to but felt secure with it once we were all in our beds) and would periodically waken and climb down to make his rounds. Our house had somewhat of a circular type hall that began in the living room went past all the bedrooms then led into the kitchen and circled back into the living room.! !

At night he'd leave his couch and walk down the hall, pausing at each bedroom door to check in, then complete his trek clicking his toenails on the linoleum kitchen floor and return to his forbidden couch.

Unfortunately, nature does not allow canines to live as long as we want them to live. At age 11 (old for a dog I guess) he developed cancer and was nearing the time when we would have to have him put to sleep when oddly he was killed by a motor vehicle. After 11 years of being street smart. We were of course heart sick but consoled ourselves with realizing the pain of loss is but a small price to pay in comparison to the many years of joy he brought us. We didn't have the heart to think about acquiring another dog as someone so beloved cannot be easily replaced. A time of mourning is needed for the loss a loved one even if it's not a human loved one.

I was 12 at the time and I remember so clearly lying in bed at night and I could actually hear him (he was a large dog) walk down the hallway, pause at the bedrooms and then head back down the hallway to the kitchen where I would then wait to hear his toenails click on the linoleum of the kitchen. He never stepped into the kitchen though. I often heard his nightly ritual, then one day mentioned it to my mother. She was at first somewhat stunned and a little at a loss for words. I could tell that she had heard him too but of course she said that it was just the sound of the furnace. This continued for several months.

by Anonymous
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 06:11 AM
oooooo thats spooky
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 07:40 AM
oooooo that is creepy
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Your all going to think i'm completely mad now.

Saturday 23 June 2001... our Bullmastiff gave up the fight to live.

As well as some people can imagine the first few nights are terrible... i was crying in bed and so on

But on the Monday night there was a storm, and as usual i remember going to bed early as i was upset, and i was just laying there... in the corner was a load of ironing that needed doing and all of a sudden there was a flash of lightening and there in the corner beside the ironing was our Bullmastiff.

For a moment i rubbed my eyes and looked again and she was still there, i couldn't call for Ian as i was shocked and in one way didn't what her to dissapear... and he would i had completely lost the plot.

Then all of a sudden she went, it was all too freaky for me and i just lay there and a smile did come to my face as i knew she was ok

What i saw of her was so clear but there was some sort of haze or mist around her and her face was clear as the day she was alive... have never seen her since that night.

But Ian had heard her walking the hallway a few times and reckons he had seen her out the corner of his eye.

But since moving we have not heard or seen a thing.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 07:42 AM
Awwww Kirsty that's a lovely story.
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2004, 07:49 AM
Ian looked at me strange the next day... i wasn't sure wheather to tell him or not.

I also told my aunt and she believed me as she is a great believer in that, and what i was explaining to her she looked quite shocked because there was so much detail.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 07:51 AM
It would have freaked me out to start with. It's nice to know that our canine friends are always with us.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Kirsty thats a nice story
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2004, 12:53 PM
That's great stories.

I like the idea of our loved ones protecting and watching us.
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2004, 02:15 PM
awww that must have been very comforting for you kirsty, to have seen her, you'll be reunited with her again one day!
(well thats what i believe in my little world anyway!)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >