Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
No ... an electric socket is not necessarily more, or less, powerful than a battery - it depends on the battery!

I have owned and used a Slendertone machine, and I own and have used an e collar on my arm - it is exactly the same - it causes the muscles to contract - the higher the setting, the more powerful the muscle contraction. I used to wind up my Slendertone quite high and it was like a punch in the stomach, most unpleasant but not painful - pain lasts, the unpleasant sensation you get from a Slendertone, or from an e collar, does not last.
You tested the collar on your arm but you put it on your dog's neck, necks are a lot more sensitive than arms are.

All 3 trainers/behaviourists had had experience of DA dogs ... which is precisely why we chose them. There would not be a lot of point in paying out good money to someone who had had no experience of your particular problem.
You never said that these behaviourists were supposed to be experienced with DA dogs, we can only reply to what you put not what you miss out because we are not mind readers.

What is the point of quoting other dogs' experience at me? We are not talking about other dogs, we are talking about MY dog - clearly, you do not know anything about northern breed types if you think that all dogs can be trained and treated in the same way. Ask ANY owner of a mal, a husky, samoyed, CWD, Saarloos, whatever, and they will all tell you that these dogs are VERY different. That is not to say that they would consider using an e collar on their dog, I am not saying that, I am just saying that you keep throwing other dogs' experiences at me, when this is just not relevant.
I quote MY experiences and that is what happened, whether you believe me or not doesn't matter to me.

As to not knowing other breeds, you haven't a clue what breeds I have experience of or what dog training and behaviour I have so stop assuming I am an idiot, if I was I wouldn't have gone into these collars before condemning them.

As for last paragraph, you clearly have not listened to a word I have said!!

WE DO NOT HAVE TO USE THE COLLAR ON BEN ANY MORE ... he WEARS it, my husband carries the controller in his pocket just in case ... but he has not had to use the zapper certainly in my presence for a long time. A reminder once or twice with the vibrate setting, yes, but not the stim setting.
Stop being insulting, if you want others to listen to you you need to listen to them as well.

So you see you would not be upset, what you would most likely do is fall in the love with the most gorgeous, loveable 45 kg bundle of naughtiness that you are ever likely to see!!

I am serious - if anyone is up for a meet, I am more than willing to show off my beautiful boys!
How do you know if I would be upset or not, you don't know me, I would be very upset if I saw an E collar on any dog including your's even if you don't use it as you say, it is there and can be used, that is enough for me.

We put it on him ... that's how we introduced it. Let him get used to wearing an extra collar.
How did you work out what level of shock he needed to take notice of it?

For those that don't know, when you introduce an E collar to a dog you have to first work out what level you need. To do this you start at the lowest setting when the dog is distracted by something. If he doesn't react you try then next setting and so on until you get a reaction to the shock. The reaction can be just a shake or something else, that is the level you are supposed to use. This level will not stop a dog that is after prey, the dog's adrenalin is high so the dog doesn't feel the shock, to get a dog's attention when after prey you need to put the shock up quite a lot to get through the adrenalin rush.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Just to demonstrate that all sentient beings react differently to the same or similar sensation, when I used the Slendertone it was painful. Not only that, but no matter how I used it (and I used two different ones as I thought the first was faulty) the nerves down my legs reacted (even though I was using it on the stomach) and caused a dull, nagging ache (akin to toothache) for the rest of the day.

Having tried both the Slendertone and an ecollar on myself, I would say the sensations are totally different. The e-collar sensation went from not feeling it at all on the lower levels to a jolting pain at the first level I could feel it.

Gnasher, if your hubby is a zoologist, he will, no doubt, have a good knowledge of learning theory. He will, therefore, know that when using positive punishment it has to be at a high level (and this will be different for each individual) for it to work effectively in one or two repetitions. If it doesn't work after one or two repetitions, it will never work on the aversive level set. With this in mind, if Ben reacted so quickly to the collar, the aversive had to be strong enough for it to have worked.

It has to be remembered that dogs are stoic creatures and can suffer a great deal before it becomes apparent to the human observer.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Well I've had several terriers all had terrific prey drive but never felt the need to give them shocks I use a lead and harness and have only had a couple of deaths when it was entirely my fault I didn't see the rabbits or rats before they did. Have two with zero recall at the moment one with senility and the other just absolutely stubborn LOL neither will be given shocks just a lead and harness and we have happy dogs who know we would never hurt them.
Good, that's great Julie, you're happy to confine your terriers to a life on the lead, but I am not happy to do that with my dog.

My dogs are happy, healthy BECAUSE they are allowed to run free, to chase, to hunt, to dig holes, to enjoy life. Were they confined to a leash and a harness, they would be miserable. The only choice we would have would be to work them in harness - to buy a rig, but they cost thousands of pounds and we cannot afford it. Nor do we have a large enough vehicle to carry everything.

Even then, even exercising them in harness, I still think that dogs need to run free. But you need to be able to control them, to have a good recall, and we have got that level of control with Ben now. We are thrilled for him.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 03:06 PM
I want to say good to you too but the use of shock collars make that impossible, and my previous dogs had loads of off lead time, just not near livestock and as far away from wildlife as we could manage.

My two now don't go off lead but senility means Mollie can't always find us and she panics if we let her off lead, Betty is a work in progress but being so tiny I am a bit afraid to let her run free in case someone or thing hurts her.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You tested the collar on your arm but you put it on your dog's neck, necks are a lot more sensitive than arms are.

You never said that these behaviourists were supposed to be experienced with DA dogs, we can only reply to what you put not what you miss out because we are not mind readers.

I quote MY experiences and that is what happened, whether you believe me or not doesn't matter to me.

As to not knowing other breeds, you haven't a clue what breeds I have experience of or what dog training and behaviour I have so stop assuming I am an idiot, if I was I wouldn't have gone into these collars before condemning them.

Stop being insulting, if you want others to listen to you you need to listen to them as well.

How do you know if I would be upset or not, you don't know me, I would be very upset if I saw an E collar on any dog including your's even if you don't use it as you say, it is there and can be used, that is enough for me.

How did you work out what level of shock he needed to take notice of it?

For those that don't know, when you introduce an E collar to a dog you have to first work out what level you need. To do this you start at the lowest setting when the dog is distracted by something. If he doesn't react you try then next setting and so on until you get a reaction to the shock. The reaction can be just a shake or something else, that is the level you are supposed to use. This level will not stop a dog that is after prey, the dog's adrenalin is high so the dog doesn't feel the shock, to get a dog's attention when after prey you need to put the shock up quite a lot to get through the adrenalin rush.
No they are NOT - not the inside forearm, that is an extremely sensitive area which is why I chose it. You will have to do better than this I'm afraid. I know you are desperate to try and prove how cruel I am just because you don't happen to agree with what I have done, but I am afraid you are not going to be able to.

My dear girl, if I dotted every i and crossed every t, my posts would be even more rambly and long than they are!! So sorry I omitted to say that the chosen behaviourists were experienced in DA - I would have thought that was stating the obvious, but there you are, you can't win sometimes

It is abundantly clear to me that you DON'T have experience of my type of dogs, I don't need to ask. It's obvious. I am sorry if I caused you offence, not intended.

when did I ever say how I used the e collar - other than that I put it on the dog to get him used to wearing it. I was extremely careful to give no more information, knowing that you would jump straight in onto the attack!

Actually what you describe is perfectly correct. We found that we needed to go up to 20 on the Dogtra - which is considered to be a low setting, at the upper end of low. As you rightly say, you need to watch very carefully at the dog's reaction. You do not want to see the dog yelp, you are looking for a head shake - again as you rightly say. Again, you are quite right when you say that sometimes with a dog like Ben with a high prey drive you have to break through the adrenaline rush - after they have made that initial break after, eg, after a deer, you have a small window of opportunity. If the dog has not responded to your "Come" - he will, but not on the very first occasion of using the e collar because as you say the adrenaline takes over - then you need to give a zap - on about 10 - if you have got your timing right, then the dog will recall. But I cannot emphasise how important the timing is - you have a window of probably less than 3 seconds. Otherwise, as you rightly say, you would need to give a stim of least 20 and the dog may well vocalise which is most upsetting and you have failed. We have only had this happen with Ben once when he and Tai were being walked together off lead and a muntjac got up right under their feet. They were off like rockets, luckily OH was alert but not alert enough. Tai came back but Ben carried on, ignoring the first "Come" for a further couple or so seconds and he received a higher stim which made him yelp. He has never ever ever gone this long before without turning, and has never ever ever since. However, if you were too slow, and he managed to keep after the deer for as long as 5 or 6 seconds, then you would have to give him a sustained stim, which is something we have never done or had to do.

If for some reason you were asleep, and the dog was really into the hunt, then the red mist comes down and the dog will ignore even the highest setting. I have been told by an owner of Salukis that this is what happened with her, such is their prey drive. But for my Ben, the e collar has been his saviour.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Just to demonstrate that all sentient beings react differently to the same or similar sensation, when I used the Slendertone it was painful. Not only that, but no matter how I used it (and I used two different ones as I thought the first was faulty) the nerves down my legs reacted (even though I was using it on the stomach) and caused a dull, nagging ache (akin to toothache) for the rest of the day.

Having tried both the Slendertone and an ecollar on myself, I would say the sensations are totally different. The e-collar sensation went from not feeling it at all on the lower levels to a jolting pain at the first level I could feel it.

Gnasher, if your hubby is a zoologist, he will, no doubt, have a good knowledge of learning theory. He will, therefore, know that when using positive punishment it has to be at a high level (and this will be different for each individual) for it to work effectively in one or two repetitions. If it doesn't work after one or two repetitions, it will never work on the aversive level set. With this in mind, if Ben reacted so quickly to the collar, the aversive had to be strong enough for it to have worked.

It has to be remembered that dogs are stoic creatures and can suffer a great deal before it becomes apparent to the human observer.
A high setting on the Slendertone is like a punch in the stomach - and a similar setting on my arm with the Slendertone was like a punch on the arm!! The muscles contract in a very strange way, like they are being squeezed up in giant fist. To a dog who does not know what it is, it must be most alarming, which is why they can yelp - it is like when you prick yourself with a needle and you shriek "ow". But the pain passes immediately. Or it did with me, we are all different with how we feel and tolerate pain.

You are wrong about the e collar having to be at a high level. The whole idea is that it is not. The aim is never to go above 20, unless you have to. The most important thing to remember about e collars is that you cannot day dream, you MUST watch your dog the whole time - otherwise you could find yourself in a situation where you have to high stim, something that should not be necessary and certainly is not with Ben.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 03:31 PM
I want to say good to you too but the use of shock collars make that impossible, and my previous dogs had loads of off lead time, just not near livestock and as far away from wildlife as we could manage.

My two now don't go off lead but senility means Mollie can't always find us and she panics if we let her off lead, Betty is a work in progress but being so tiny I am a bit afraid to let her run free in case someone or thing hurts her.
I don't mind my boys chasing wildlife - they've had the odd pheasant, several rabbits and squirrels - but we have to draw the line at deer because of the distance the deer can and will travel. The boys are fast enough to keep up, but for obvious reasons we don't want them disappearing.

Around livestock, we ALWAYS have them on the harness just in case. Ben actually is fine with sheep, but Tai would chase them and try and play with them, he views them as dogs not prey, but obviously both are a no no.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Ours were small enough to follow rabbits down rabbit holes so we did our best not to let them chase or we could have lost them in the warrens on the common. Always felt so guilty with any death no matter what they caught even the rats seemed sad to us
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 03:44 PM
Ours were small enough to follow rabbits down rabbit holes so we did our best not to let them chase or we could have lost them in the warrens on the common. Always felt so guilty with any death no matter what they caught even the rats seemed sad to us
I know - I hate it when they kill anything, but it is nature and because they are raw fed it is good for them to eat fur and feather as well as meat and RMBs.

No chance of my 2 heffalumps getting stuck down any hole - they both weigh 45 kilos each and are enormous - not fat, but just very large dogs!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Well at least you won't fall over them at that size like I did with tiny 2lb Betty this morning LOL
Page 9 of 44 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »