Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2007, 11:48 PM

How can I stop my dog pestering my puppies mum

The pups are three and and a half weeks old today, and for the last three days my 4 year old welshie thinks hes in love.
He's following mum around licking her face and ears and generally been a pest. He tried to mount her tonight but she was having none of it. When she was in season he was the only dog not interested and now hes the only one being a nuisence, I've two other entire dogs ones even been used at stud and there not bothered.
All i can think of is Bronwyns my top dog and shes out of the way on maternal duty, does anyone think hes just challenging her.
Hes one crazy mixed up kid
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 09:03 AM
If he's licking her face then I'd say no. I think he can smell the pups and he's getting excited by it all. When my Wilson gets excited he sometimes uses mounting to release that energy! I just think sometimes they get a bit confused!
Becky
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Agree with Mahooli. He's unlikely to be challenging her at this time as having maternal duties elevates a bitch's status within the pack and will only serve to reinforce her position as top dog. If he is, he's chosen a very bad time to do it!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Thank you both, he's still following in her all over and trying to lick her ears and face. Too be honest I considered sending him to ny mums for a few days but he's a very nervous dog and dont want to make things worse.
I'd hate him to think he's been abandoned to make make for the litter.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2007, 01:03 PM
it might be his way of hellping her but cleaning her, taz did this with betsy when she had her litter he just wanted to be all cuddly with her as if to protect her and pups, we kept an eye on them and betsy did tell him when she had enough. sorry not much help