View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Moving in with the OH - How long did you wait?

My boyfriend has suggested we move in together and I'm not entirely sure how to feel about it!

A bit of back story, I am hoping to move out this summer but have been having trouble finding a place I can afford as none of the places in my price range will accept dogs. At the same time, boyfriend has just finished uni, has moved back home and is looking for a full time job but is struggling to find something that will pay enough for him to be able to move out as the area he lives in is quite expensive.

The boyfriend has been staying with me this week (currently we are long distance so he stays with me for a week and then I go to stay with him) and before he left today, he suggested that perhaps he might start looking for work near me and if he finds something here (Leicester) we could maybe find a place to live together.

At first I was ecstatic but thinking about the reality of it, I'm a bit worried we'd be rushing things! We've not been together for very long and although I get the feeling he is 'the one' I'm worried that we're rushing things and that the economic situation is maybe pushing us into a situation we're not ready for.

So, the point of this very long post How long had you been with your OH before you knew you were serious about each other/had a future together and how long had you been together before you moved in?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:08 PM
4 months Mind you, he was practically living here before that, we just made it official as he wanted to move out from his dad's (had been living at home to save for a house), was looking at houseshares with his friends, then we stopped and said..well, you'll be paying all that extra rent and still spending most your time at my house, why not just move in! It's funny because neither of us had pictured ourselves being that serious with anyone for a long time, but we've yet to have an argument at all so something must be working!
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:16 PM
3 weeks! Then my mum kicked me out and that was that!! 2 years later still there and never been happier
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Honestly.....we met on the Saturday, I stayed over at his, and on Sunday morning he packed his stuff up, put it in my car, and he moved into mine!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:35 PM
I knew my OH for 13 months before he moved in next door There were lots of reasons for this the main ones being the checks required by social svcs for my job (foster carer) and my OH 8yr old daughter, we wanted to introduce her to a) me being around all the time and b) the idea of her daddy being a daddy to other kids!! Luckily it all went well and 6 months later we took the jump to actually share the same house 4 months later so far so good

FYI: I managed to rent with 3 dogs, I didn't mention them on initial contact with the estate agents, when I went to a viewing and the agents had had a chance to see us and know that we were decent people I brought up the dogs - face to face. A friend suggested I try this way after I'd had resounding no's when I mentioned them on enquiry. Worked a treat
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 09:54 PM
a month and now im carrying his peanut x

Life is to short for if's and maybe's x
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:08 PM
8 months!

It was only meant to be 'a fling', or so we forced ourselves to think, it was never meant to last or be too serious, I was only 19, (him 26) and any time soon he was going back to Australia, and i was heading away to University.

I moved away as he was finalising his plans to emigrate, but last minute change of heart and instead he joined me and that's when we moved in together

Nearly 10 years on we've just got married and are expecting our first baby

He's the one, like you say, you just know. Good luck!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jem View Post
Totally agree, which is why we did it!
I was ill and going for chemo, and we said if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work, but if it does....then great
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
4 months Mind you, he was practically living here before that, we just made it official as he wanted to move out from his dad's (had been living at home to save for a house), was looking at houseshares with his friends, then we stopped and said..well, you'll be paying all that extra rent and still spending most your time at my house, why not just move in! It's funny because neither of us had pictured ourselves being that serious with anyone for a long time, but we've yet to have an argument at all so something must be working!
Thanks so much for replying, it's given me hope that maybe this will work out if we go ahead with it! We seem to be in a similar situation to the one you were in. Hope things continue to go swimmingly for you and your OH

Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
3 weeks! Then my mum kicked me out and that was that!! 2 years later still there and never been happier
Glad to hear that things have gone so well for you and your OH despite the fact that it happened so quickly It gives me hope!

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Honestly.....we met on the Saturday, I stayed over at his, and on Sunday morning he packed his stuff up, put it in my car, and he moved into mine!
Wow, that is quick! I am starting to agree with other replies though, what is the sense in waiting when you think you might be perfect for each other? It obviously worked out for you!

Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
I knew my OH for 13 months before he moved in next door There were lots of reasons for this the main ones being the checks required by social svcs for my job (foster carer) and my OH 8yr old daughter, we wanted to introduce her to a) me being around all the time and b) the idea of her daddy being a daddy to other kids!! Luckily it all went well and 6 months later we took the jump to actually share the same house 4 months later so far so good

FYI: I managed to rent with 3 dogs, I didn't mention them on initial contact with the estate agents, when I went to a viewing and the agents had had a chance to see us and know that we were decent people I brought up the dogs - face to face. A friend suggested I try this way after I'd had resounding no's when I mentioned them on enquiry. Worked a treat
Glad to hear that it all worked out for you and your OH, despite it being a little complex to start with!

Unfortunately I've tried the techniques you suggested with still no luck I think because I have been looking at flats, people aren't keen to allow dogs! If I was living with my boyfriend though we could afford a little terraced house which I think we'd have more luck with

Originally Posted by Jem View Post
a month and now im carrying his peanut x

Congratulations on the peanut! I agree, life is definitely too short. I think sometimes I just get so het up with the idea of what is 'appropriate' that I stop myself from doing things!

Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
8 months!

It was only meant to be 'a fling', or so we forced ourselves to think, it was never meant to last or be too serious, I was only 19, (him 26) and any time soon he was going back to Australia, and i was heading away to University.

I moved away, he postponed any plans to move back to Australia instead he joined me 6 months later and that's when we moved in together

Nearly 10 years on we've just got married and are expecting our first baby

He's the one, like you say, you just know. Good luck!
Aw it's like a modern fairytale! Congratulations on your wedding and the baby!

I like to think he could be 'the one' and we aren't rushing into things but then I think I have been so conditioned to be 'practical' that I keep telling myself that I'm being silly and rushing into things!
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 10:56 PM
dont get me wrong im not normally this impulsive and i certainly dont go around getting pregnant

The move felt right as he is a cracking guy and the pregnancy i thought was kidney stones

If it feels right for you and your O/H then go for it xx
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »