Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 11:39 AM

How to enquire about being placed on a breeders waiting list

Hi guys

I'm abit out of practice on this so was hopeing someone with abit of knowledge could give me afew tips

We are currently looking to add to your family this year, or next year if we have to wait
I'm at the stage of writting to breeders and have found some that produce the line of dog I'm most interested in,
Thing is, I have no idea how to go about contacting the breeders, the right way!

What exactly should I be putting in my enquiry emails?
I don't want to end up giving the wronge impression so any help would be much appreciated

Its worse than writting a cv

Thanx in advance
Jessie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Dont be scared...just pick up the phone and ask about their breeding plans Show you have researched the breed and ask about about any breed related health testing and parents results. Tell them why you think the breed would make a good addition to your family and why you think you would be a suitable potential owner of one of their pups.

Good luck
Jessie
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Breeders are people just like you and me....there is no need to be frightened to talk to them.

Just pick up the phone... or use email...

Ask then if they have any litters planned in the future...ask about the breed and its needs , give details of your lifestyle. it would pay also to research your breed and what health tests is required for said breed... this is something you must ask your breeder if they do .

And to be honest most good breeders will ask you as many questions if not more ...to see if you are suitable for one of their pups.....so dont be put off by anything they ask.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 02:22 PM
As Jessie said, dont be scared,
If they have web sites, you can contact them via those, just express an intrest in there dogs, ask for info on planned litters {some sites may have a planned litter bit} so you may already know about any future litters they may have, if so just ask if you could be considered for there waiting list, give them your contact details, with a phone number...
Another good thing to do, is..... if you have any shows near you, it could be worth popping along to the odd one or two, A good breeder will be happy to chat to you... so long as they are not heading for the ring at the time x
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I emailed the breeder of my girl and told her i was intredted in purchasing a puppy for showing and could she offer me some advice on what to look for which she gladley did and we chatted a great deal through emails ,a few months later she emailed me again asking me if i would be intrested in a bitch puppy as she knew i wanted a male and thats how Leoti came to live with me
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Great advice so far Either email or ring the breeders you are interested in, ask about their breeding plans, health tests etc and then give some information on your lifestyle, what you can offer a pup and what you are hoping for in a pup.

What breed are you looking at getting out of interest? If it is a breed you already have, you can explain you have experience of the breed etc.

Good luck.
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanx for the advice everyone

The breed Im looking at getting is another Dogue de bordeaux, I already have a spayed bitch so was looking at getting a male, I'm already well aware of the care involved, personality, traits and any health tests they require, and I feel I have enough experience with this breed to know what I'm doing

Clair
x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Clair View Post
Thanx for the advice everyone

The breed Im looking at getting is another Dogue de bordeaux, I already have a spayed bitch so was looking at getting a male, I'm already well aware of the care involved, personality, traits and any health tests they require, and I feel I have enough experience with this breed to know what I'm doing

Clair
x
Even better, that gives you a running start with a breeder, its always easier when someone has had the breed already,
have you made a list of breeders your intrested in?

If so get emailing,
DDB are such cute pups
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Yes shona, I have a small list of breeders, some recommended, others I've found on another dog forum under there breeders list

I better get typing