Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2007, 11:59 AM

Shocking Vet stories

Hiya
Pika went into the vets for an op yesterday to remove a mammary tumour and came home in a right mess. The poor little soul was crying all the way home and was obviously in a lot of pain and she was absolutely covered in blood all over her belly. The vets nursae said that they hadnt given her any painkillers as it wasnt a deep operation.

This is the vets that I used to take fudge to but he was that scared of going there I had to change. I took him to be vaccinated and chipped and they had to put the chip in three times before they managed to do it properly. Hes only a chihuahua so the needle was absolutely massive to him and made him bleed A LOT. After that he was completely petrified but I thought I would give them the ebenfit of the doubt and took him back when he started chocking a lot on his lead. When I took him the vet said that he had a soft trachea, a serious heart murmer, a lung infection and he would need to have a few teeth out. He was on the verge of booking me in for an op on his trachea the next week! My OH persuaded me to go to another vet for a second opinion and it turned out he had none of the above apart from a slight floppy trachea!

Also found out today a guy at work used to take his dog there. The dog went in for a replacement tendon and they sent him home and overnight his leg swelled up so he took him back to the vets and they said the problem was that they had used some bandages which that had got cheap from a hospital and they were elasticated so they cut off the circulation. To cut a long story short the dog ended up dying because of all the trauma.

How awful is that. I think I will be warning people about them in future
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 12:01 PM
That's terrible, they should have given her a painkilling jab and cleaned her up. Personally I'd report them to the RCVS and most definately change vets.
Hope she picks up soon. Big ((((HUGS)))) to her.
Becky
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Its sounds like you should change your vets. I love one of my vets Jason he is fantastic and I will only see him the other vets there are awful.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Sounds like they need reporting to the RCVS!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Oh dear what an awful vets. I really hope you find another place that you and your pets will like.
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2007, 12:40 PM
That really is awful, and poor Pika, I hope she is feeling better soon. I would certainly not use thats vets anymore either
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
That's terrible, they should have given her a painkilling jab and cleaned her up. Personally I'd report them to the RCVS and most definately change vets.
Hope she picks up soon. Big ((((HUGS)))) to her.
Becky
Totally agree. Report them at once.
It's hard to find a trust you have absolute faith in.
The dog should have been cleaned up after her op anyway.
How many dogs might have died because of these vets.
I would find another vets immediately.
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Thats terrible!

It sounds to me like they need to be put out of public service!!!

Try looking on the net for the vetinary regulatory body and report them, and get everyone who they have mis-treated thier dogs to do the same...

Im really shocked by this story.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Blimey what awful stories! Hope she recovers soon and you find a good vet that really cares. Try and go by personal recommendation (even if the person has something other than dogs i.e cats) if at all possible. Best of luck and healing thoughts to your little one
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2007, 01:06 PM
well my experience is not deadly or traumatic for my dog but it is really unprofessional. wheny Jack had his first seizure i took him to the vet and described the situation, that this was his first seizure, it ended after 10 minutes and that dog was "awake". he didnt even looked at him and started to write perscription for phenobarbitol
even weith people, phenobabrb is not given right after first seizure specially if it doesnt sound like typical epilepsy.

now i work at the vets( different vet station of course)
and i cant say we give back so poor animals like Shirleyc's. and of course they allways get their painkillers if they need them! (with mammyary tumor, painkiller is a must. at lest here)

on the other hand a lot of people come here, who neglect their animals sooo badly it sometimes makes me want to cry.
for example today there came 2 men with a cat and they said oh our cat havent eaten anything for 14 days
omg this is too late! even vet cant help then. cat was extremely dehidrated and sooooo skinny, but the clever boys said that eventough she doesnt eat she is gaining weight and she should have babies any day now
i mean....
well it turned out poor cat was full of yellow slimey fluid, that explains her round hard tummy.
as we opened her bowel was full of tumours and so was her liver. cat had FLV and couldnt be saved anyway but if they took her in after she was starving for 2 days we could at least make the rest of her life painfree. now the poor girl was suffering for at least 2 weeks

there are a lot of sad stories from the other side too!
but i know, vets are there to make animals's life easier!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >