Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I understand fully what you mean, Marionette, and agree that a lot entrants (almost always in the pedigree classes) don't make it fun for themselves or their dogs, unfortunately. Their experience seems to be far from fun, imo.

As an entrant at yesterday's show here in Greenock (at which we had a good time), I, and i'm sure a few others, witnessed harsh handling going on in the pedigree ring (I would actually call it cruel). I also noticed a few sore losers aswell (also in the pedigree classes) because their dogs weren't placed or were placed last.

I've been at quite a few of these shows over the past few years, and it seems to me that a lot of the entrants in the pedigree classes take it far too seriously.

I still firmly believe that once a dog starts entering official KC shows, then they should no longer be permitted to enter Companion/fun dog shows.
Harsh handling is taken seriously at all shows. The KC has strict rules of it which apply to all affiliated KC shows of every type [ Conformation, Agility, etc etc ].
Whether affiliated or not, there are options / procedures, from putting in a complaint to a show sec to lodging a formal complaint to the KC. I trust if you witnessed harsh handling that you did report it officially in some way ?
Its only by people reporting it to an official that those doing it can be dealt with, otherwise they get away with it.

Yes there are sometimes sore losers but thats human nature in most things, whether a dog show, a football match, heck even tiddlywinks and monopoly can cause ructions within a family [ especially dads being beaten by their young child if observations are anything to go by ].

People who are unsporting or so ego-fuelled as to be outraged or hacked off if beaten in whatever activity are only spoiling it for themselves and are not a reflection on whatever the activity itself may be.
They should be pitied really, though can be a source of amusement if just showing themselves up by having a silly paddy

I was put off Breed Showng for life because of behaviour from some competitors at my first and last show Breed show, [ with my Alsatian when I was a child ].
It took many years for me to be persuaded to enter a fun show because the experience before was so awful, but you know what ?
I learned to see poor sports persons for what they are - sad self centred people who are losers in life if not the Show ring.
If a minority [ and it really is a tiny minority ], want to have a rotten day because they are miserable so and so`s, let `em, its their loss !
Also, they can actually be useful as examples to new people of How Not To Behave so they can still serve an educational purpose

None of that negates Harsh handling, the type who do that wont just do it at a show unfortunatley and its a good way to make sure their dogs never handle well so they will just keep on losing any chance of the Pots and Rosettes they so desperately seek, especially if people do their duty and report transgressors for harsh handling because if the harsh handlers get banned from their activity as a result, they can kiss goodbye to any hopes of winning anything :smt102
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Unfortunately, Patch, I didn't report it to the organisers at the time. I now wish I had reported him, however I feel my concern may have gone unnoticed yesterday as the organisers were a bit stressed yesterday.

The class I witness the harsh handling in, was this man's last class anyway. Not that that means I shouldn't have spoken to the organisers about it.

I will have a chat with them during the week though, perhaps a bit pointless now, but i'll talk to them nevertheless.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Marionette View Post
Let's give the "charity" thing a swerve, please. I am never, ever impressed by that.
But the reason Companion and other fun shows happen is to raise money for charity, that is their primary purpose. Its impossible to `give the charity thing a swerve` when thats the reason they are put on in the first place :smt017
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
But the reason Companion and other fun shows happen is to raise money for charity, that is their primary purpose. Its impossible to `give the charity thing a swerve` when thats the reason they are put on in the first place :smt017
Yes, that is why most of the Companion/fun shows are held, but that is not always why some 'real showers' attend them. Let's be honest here. I don't think it matters to some of them whether the show has been organised to raise money for charity or not, imo.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Yes, that is why most of the Companion/fun shows are held, but that is not always why some 'real showers' attend them. Let's be honest here. I don't think it matters to some of them whether the show has been organised to raise money for charity or not, imo.
I think your getting a little hung up on "real Showers"
Some of my friends only show at companion shows due to a number of reasons costs being one of them, yet they still consider themselves to be real showers.
Just because we show our dogs at champ shows doesnt mean the dogs are "top" class. Any one with a KC registered dog can enter.
Clipper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Westie N, not to have reported the harsh handling was wrong, as Patch says, it was a lost chance. Sorry but speaking about it after the event, is a bit like shutting the door after the horse has bolted. I wouldn't have cared how stressed the committee was, I would have still made my feelings known. And I am sure that the committee would have taken your grievance seriously.
Regardless of whether it was at a show, in someones home or out in the street, I would have done something about a dog being cruely dealt with. We are their only hope of a safe, loving home. Show dog, pet, pedigree or x breed, every dog deserves the right to that.
I do hope that in future, you will have the courage of your convictions, to speak up. Though I truely hope that the occassion never arises.
Clipper & the furry gang
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
I think your getting a little hung up on "real Showers"
Some of my friends only show at companion shows due to a number of reasons costs being one of them, yet they still consider themselves to be real showers.
Just because we show our dogs at champ shows doesnt mean the dogs are "top" class. Any one with a KC registered dog can enter.
I'm not getting "hung up". I just don't think it's fair.

If I showed my dog at official KC shows, whether she won anything or not, I wouldn't enter her in Companion/fun shows. I don't think it would be right or fair.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Westie N, not to have reported the harsh handling was wrong, as Patch says, it was a lost chance. Sorry but speaking about it after the event, is a bit like shutting the door after the horse has bolted. I wouldn't have cared how stressed the committee was, I would have still made my feelings known. And I am sure that the committee would have taken your grievance seriously.
Regardless of whether it was at a show, in someones home or out in the street, I would have done something about a dog being cruely dealt with. We are their only hope of a safe, loving home. Show dog, pet, pedigree or x breed, every dog deserves the right to that.
I do hope that in future, you will have the courage of your convictions, to speak up. Though I truely hope that the occassion never arises.
Clipper & the furry gang
Clipper, I realise now that I should have mentioned it to the organisers yesterday. I'm now sorry that I didn't it. If I see it again at, I can assure you that I will mention it to the organisers at the time.

However, I do feel that I would not have been fully listened to yesterday.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Well thats your perogative, but I prefer companon shows and intend to continue doing them as I dont feel I'm doing anything wrong. To me Champ shows are a neccesary evil if you want to make a dog into a champion, something very few of us does by the way, i go to make up the numbers.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Well thats your perogative, but I prefer companon shows and intend to continue doing them as I dont feel I'm doing anything wrong. To me Champ shows are a neccesary evil if you want to make a dog into a champion, something very few of us does by the way, i go to make up the numbers.
Yes, it is my perogative.

Why do you want to 'make your dog into a champion?

I don't need a bit of paper to tell me my dog is a champion, to me they both are anyway. Officially, or unofficially.
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 27 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »