View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Going back to the very first post I am appalled that anyone should suggest PTS to an owner who has phoned a trainer to ask for advice. As, I think it was Hali, said that could have been mentioned as one of the many solutions, and I use that word solution lightly.

Imagine the scenario, I know this was not the case, but this "trainer" could well encounter this scenario, a firsyt time owner phones for advice as they have a dog sggresive pet dog, fine with people but very snappy and vocal with dogs, bitches and even puppies, lunges at other dogs and has "gone for" other dogs on and off lead. Owner walks dog on lead all the time and has resorted to walking dog at silly times (eg very early or very late) Phones for advice and is told "I don't do aggressive dogs" in fact "it would be an idea to consider PTS"

Now lets assume that owner does not actually take that advice and realises the worth of their pet dog BUT, and in my opinion it is a BIG but, that owner who is already nervous and frustrated with the dog now has the seed planted that their dog is so worthless, or so vile or so agressive that it needs to be PTS. Wether they truly believe that or not the seed of that is enough to exasperate the problem.

So that dog now has an ownser who is slightly more on edge or slightly more apprehensive after ONE phonecall to someone who has not SEEN the dogs behaviour or the owners behaiour for that matter and lo and behold the problem has been heightened.

I speak from experience here of owning an ex dog aggresive dog, who was asked NOT TO GO BACK to training classes, and we were offered no alternatives, thankfully PTS was not an option, but walking always on lead at stupid times and on a muzzle was suggested and rightly or wrongly was the option at that time I accepted.

I am pleased to say that I now have a happy 5 year old who with patience understanding and correction to my own behaiours can now play happily offlead on walks with other dogs bitches and pups. I would add here that the help I recieved was from a trainer who had real experience with dogs of all shapes and sizes, did they have qualifications and bits of paper coming out of their ears? No they didnt but within 5 minutes of being with my dog I knew they knew what they were doing. Experience counts for a lot.

Im by no means am foolish enough to believe that all dogs can be rehabilitated to such a great degree and I do know aggression is a hard subject to approach in a lot of cases. Yes the trainer was right to say they did not have the experience required to help but IMO was way wrong to even hint at PTS as the only real solution.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post

I am also not entirely sure that his opinion was based on honesty - could it not have been that he just didn't want to admit that other trainers might be able to sort an issue which he couldn't?

The true reason (I know this to be true, as I know the trainer) he does not do aggressive dogs, is down to his insurance, and a fear of being sued IF anything went wrong after his advice.

Whether or not he can actually deal with aggression is another matter, this trainer is someone who works with the police force(dogs) in an advisory capasity.

Perhaps this owner wouldn't have had the dog pts on the 'professionals' say so. But there are owners who might - particularly an inexperienced owner who will believe the 'professional advice' from a 'professional'.

Thats the frightening thing, one person who acted on his advice is one person to many, and as we know many peopel will take a trainers word as gospel.... so yes its highly likely some one may have done as he said.

On a good note, the people in question have persevered with the dog and pup, and are making slow progress... so hopefully, they will have a two dog happy household, as they have listened to someone a little more open minded on how to deal with this situation.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4