Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
! I like the idea of the ball being her main focus though coz I want to get away from this treat business when she's all grown up! It's beginning to annoy me when I'm out with her in a crowd if ever I go up onto the green to let her have a play with dogs that are friendly, coz most of the people keep giving her treats just for sitting in front of them and I've already told them she has to actually DO something to get a treat, you can't just hand them out willy nilly coz you have them in your pocket! It's getting right up my nose actually!!!
If it's any consolation, although Loki still loves his treats, we don't always have to have them now. They were really useful to help enforce/reward appropriate behaviour but he's learned now. They are still unbeatable in some situations though, for instance if we need to lure because of other dogs.

I hate people giving treats like that too - I'm so careful with Loki's diet with the epilepsy. I know poeple mean well but they could be giving anything that could be salty, etc.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Chip loves a ball.
Dale is harder to motivate. It depends a bit on his mood. I use treats when we're doing something new but really rely on praise more than anything. I think he knows when he's got it right and just feels pleased with himself.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Food, rabbits and voles!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks everyone!

It's interesting to see what motivates different dogs!

Teagan does love her food!
She isn't at all interested in toys, and even my prase isn't good enough lol
Nothing can motivate her when she see's another dog though, it's hard to get her attention, which is why I started the thread, to get some different ideas!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Reah is me....completely focused.........I must look nice.

Bruce and Skye are focused mainly on thier ball.
Don't do treats I forget anything like that so never started it
They have things in the house I'm not completely mean, but I like them to work on praise too
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Isla is one of the greediest dogs I've ever owned, but given the choice between a tennis ball and any food based treat she'll take the tennis ball everytime!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Monty works best for praise and also a ball Depending what we are doing (sleevework) if he has a good position and hold, he gets loads praise and as soon as i make physical contact his wee eyes light up and his whole body shakes whilst his tail is going ten to the dozen. He was also trained to a ball - although he can become extremely hyper for it and tends to try too hard and fast. I've never used food for training him.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3