View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Dog pyramid and buster cube, put their meal in them(if they have dry food that is) and it keeps them occupied for ages.
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 06:37 PM
put a treat in a blanket and let them figure out that they have to lift it up to get the treat, not eat the treat through the blanket
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Different walks.

Even if you only have access to the same places most days, change the directions/routes you take. Try to go to different places as often as you can.

Toys
Don't leave all your dogs toys out; keep some back for special training...they stay more interesting to the dog much longer.

Don't always take the same ball or toy on a walk, don't always play with the toy at particular sections of the walk.
I do all that too Hali

I have taught Marius to seek/search for his toys (bit like Working Trials). Every now and again in the field I get him to sit and I cover his eyes then throw his ball - the then has to zig-zag and scent for his ball. He has learnt to obey hand signals too, so I can get him to change direction. He absolutely adores this game and has a fantastic nose..... my favourite thing is to watch his tail, it's a dead giveaway when he's getting nearer to it as he does a pointer stance and it goes like the clappers!!!!

I do like to mix it up with his training to keep him stimulated also. One day I might do some dumb-bell retrieves, another time concentrate on heel-work or even some show-training. Anything really that stops him getting bored.

It's absolutely true that a good training session tires them out equally (if not more) than a good walk
Ree
New Member!
Female 

28-10-2009, 05:52 PM
in summer i freeze biscuits in water in a large margarine tub for my 2. They love sliding it around the yard for hours and it helps keep them cool
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Lots of company! My dogs tend to amuse each other once they have exhausted the visitors and residents.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Although I have a few different stimulating toys such as Kongs and treat balls, I dont tend to use them at all.

If I notice the dogs are bored and i've got a spare few minutes, i'll hide treats around the garden whilst they are shut in the kitchen and then let them out to find them.

A great way to keep Flynn mentally stimulated is to do dummy work with him and general whistle commands and hand signals. He's having to use his nose to find the dummies, his ears to listen for the whistle and his eyes to follow my hand commands so using all his senses really gets him tired.

The other mental stimulation they get is hunting out rabbits, pheasants etc (I dont mean hunting as in the formal sense, I mean it simply as in my dogs picking up scent, following it to find the source and flushing). This is great for their mind because they have to work on wind direction or follow the ground scent, work out if it's fresh or old scent, dead or alive, still or moving quarry etc. The sheer concentration on Flynn's face when he's on point or stalking tells me he cant get more stimulated than that!

Then of course I play general retrieve games on land and in water.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2009, 11:14 AM
when i am short of ideas i go on you tube and find a trick tutorial and work on that

when the garden is not flooded i sometimes chuck their dinner all over the grass, they snif snif snif for ages

stays while i hide some food then find it

somewhere totaly different for a walk

agility

massage and grooming

and if i am realy lazy a handfull of treats and a clicker and i ask them to 'do something' and reward every different behaviour- so funny to watch
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2