Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 09:08 PM

In panic mode

Just had a call from my Daughter in Law, they have had one of my Goldens for 4yrs & tonight the youngest of their 2 children stepped on her paw & she snapped at her - I have yold her to bring Dog straight back her - Grandaughter is okay

I am shaking
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 09:26 PM
I would think if the dog was hurt and suprprised then maybe this was just a reaction - I am not a person who swears but I did the other day when someone drove a trolley into me in Tesco .... I wouldn't assume there was an issue with the dog just from this although an unfortunate incident
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2008, 09:32 PM
It probably hurt the dog and it snapped as a reaction, presuming it just air-snapped and didn't bite.

Of course I don't know your dogs or your grandchildren but the only time I got snapped at as a child by our family dog (Springer) was when my sister and I were teasing him (we were quite young). He just gave a warning. Could there have been previous teasing (you don't say how old the child is).

This is a genuine question to anyone who cares to give an opinion but is it never acceptable for a dog to give a warning like this and, if it does, does it mean that it is likely to actually bite? I know nothing about Goldens.

My parents obviously thought we had asked for the warning and made us leave the dog in peace.

Sorry you have had this fright, hope you are ok.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Oh Sheena, do they really want to part with the dog? Most dogs react in some knee-jerk way to pain or fear. I would think it was a one-off........

Hugs honey x0x
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 09:40 PM
If it is any consolation Fudge does this if she id surprised and will then snap into the air. As soon as she realises this is what she has done she goes completely submissive.....

We just go back to basics in terms of asserting ourselves over her.I get the child concerned feeding, training and treating for a while. I think it is something that some dogs do. I would say as long as the dog stopped when he'she realised what was happening all should be ok. It goes without saying though that the kids and the dogs need supervising but at a guess that is happening already. It is scarey. I lay awake crying the first time it happened. Now I analyse the situation and make sure the children are aware of situations where it might happen and avoid these times.

I hope it all gets sorted out.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Sweep please don't worry - even the most placid of dogs would have got a fright and could have reacted this way.
Maybe the young kiddie just needs to be a wee bit more careful round where dogs are - i'm sure its nothing bad. Have they given the dog back or are they happy to work through it. No-one was hurt so maybe just a knee-jerk reaction as dogs seem to be getting such a bad press which scares people if the slightest of things happen.

I hope everything works out
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Phoebe is home with me now - Evidently my granddaughter trod on Phoebe's paw but she never snarled or snapped just turned her head quickly towards her.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Aw hun, even my dopey Jamie has had his 'moment'... hope everything works out okay...
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2008, 10:29 PM
What a shame for Phoebe, doesn't sound like she even did anything wrong. If someone trod on your foot wouldn't you look round quick?

So sorry.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2008, 10:33 PM
From what you've said I think they were so surprised they over reacted. I wouldn't be worried about it can't see the problem in her looking round
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >