Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 12:40 PM

eating grass

My 6 months old pup constantly tries to eat grass. He has brought it into the house roots and all!!
Will this be harmful to him do I have to worry about this along with everything else I have to worry about with him.
It's worse than having a baby.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:20 PM
My dogs eat grass all the time hun,
I goggled this to give you a better idea

. Why do dogs eat grass?

A. Dogs commonly eat grass, and there are several explanations that have been offered for this behavior. One, wild canids (e.g., wolves and fox) eat all of an animal when they catch it. Since they eat many herbivores (plant-eating animals), they end up eating a lot of grasses and plants that were in the intestines of these animals. In addition, they have been known to eat certain berries and other plant material. Dogs then, may eat grass because, in reality, it is a normal part of their diet.

Many times, dogs will vomit after eating grass. Did they eat grass to make them vomit? Or did they vomit because they ate grass? It is a mystery, but it seems that some dogs may eat vegetation when they have an upset stomach.

The third reason - they just like it. Some dogs have certain species of grass or plant material that they will search out and eat. We know a beagle who can pick raspberries faster than his owner.

In any case, grass eating is basically a normal behavior, and is not of concern unless your dog does it excessively.

Hope that helps xxdk
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks for that, you have put my mind at rest.
roxyb
New Member!
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:25 PM
my dog eats grass too, its quite funny she will have big roots hanging from her mouth, while looking all cheeky.

it doesnt seem to have done her any harm and she has stopped eating it as much now she is 17months. only occassionally now.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Dingo eats grass a lot as well. I sometimes wonder if he's a dog or a cow. Although he has been accused of being half mountain goat so that could be the reason why.

Heidi
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Whew!! what a relief that Ben is not abnormal. Yea he comes in dragging grass roots soil all through the house, love him for it!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:30 PM
All mine eat grass Hun....Bruce eats it as he's running round the park.......never without a mouthful of grass
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:32 PM
all mine eat grass its perfectly normal
myshell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Red used to eat grass all the time as a small pup, he did stop but recently has started again. He's now 14 months.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Both mine do it too wish that was all they ate off the ground
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >